1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Acid Inhibition Associated with B12 Deficiency

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by MeSci, Dec 12, 2013.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I thought this item from Physicians' First Watch would interest people with ME, as many of us seem to have B12 deficiency and some have taken/are taking proton pump inhibitors (not sure re histamine-2 receptor antagonists).

aimossy likes this.
  2. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    Nice to know thanks.

I was taking Tagamet for about 3 years in the early 90's.
  3. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Sweden
    Thanks MeSci.
    Also people with hypothyroidism, who are not properly treated ( too often they are not .See www.stopthethyroidmadness.com) and they may because of that have too little stomach acid for a good B12 uptake.
    Then we now know that all but a few here on PR have polymorphisms that also (might) impair the B12 metabolism (MTHFR+MTR/MTRR).

Edit (see MeSci) : I meant "all that have been gene tested" as we canĀ“t know about others. Just a guess if they feel much better on B12 and/or folate ...as so many do.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  4. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I wonder whether the majority here know whether or not they have these polymorphisms. I don't know whether I have. I had some genetic tests years ago but can't remember where I put the results! So I don't know whether they did those ones. Must try to find them...
  5. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Sweden
    You are right. I should have written "all that have been gene tested". That is what I thought. Hope you will find your tests! MTHFR is the most explored of all , I was told, so hopefully you will find at least this SNP.
    MeSci likes this.
  6. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I have found it! Now I have to do some reading on here about what relevance the polymorphisms have for ME. The blurb with my results already points to some relevant issues.

See more popular forum discussions.