• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acetyl L- Glutathione, ATP, Baking Soda, Sam-e & Catalase = No PEM after exercise

ahmo

@Mya Symons Have you looked into low dose naltrexone? (I wouldn't be surprised if I've already mentioned this to you:rolleyes:)

I've been using it about 9 months now. Greatly increased my stamina, presumably due to less inflammation.

It baffles me that so many doctors treat Hashimoto's disease like it is nothing.
:mad:

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
@Mya Symons Have you looked into low dose naltrexone? (I wouldn't be surprised if I've already mentioned this to you:rolleyes:)

I've been using it about 9 months now. Greatly increased my stamina, presumably due to less inflammation.

:mad:
I did try low dose naltrexone, but I don't know if it was from a reputable place. It made all my symptoms worse. I've also heard that is shouldn't be used if a person has Hashimoto's because it boosts the strength of synthroid. I am not sure if that is true or not.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
:bulb:
It might be related with our own hormone cycle. When there is more endogenous hormone to be broken down (estrogen, progesterone etc) perhaps added to a plant hormone overload (salicylates etc) which are broken down thru the same liver pathway.

I'm well past menopause! I don't seem to have any problem with coconut oil - in fact it seems highly beneficial - although I'm not sure what you mean by 'pulling'. I'm not aware of any problem with salicylates.

I think we probably have very different biochemistries.

Bansaw

Where do you buy straight Catalase from?
The supplements I found online come with other ingredients like Zinc, Folic Acid, etc etc, never straight Catalase.
Any brand recommended?

Bansaw

How much baking soda is in a pill quarter teaspoon?

When undergoing a bout of heavy PEM How much baking soda would one use and how frequently?

Are they're any dangers in using it daily as a preventive if you are prone to PEM

I take it just after exercise, and it really helps my PEM, a quarter teaspoon.
Don't take it every day, be very sparing with it because it affects the stomach acid, and then you'll have digestion problems. I take it 2-3 times a week.

perrier

I take it just after exercise, and it really helps my PEM, a quarter teaspoon.
Don't take it every day, be very sparing with it because it affects the stomach acid, and then you'll have digestion problems. I take it 2-3 times a week.
On the subject of catalase. You can get it pure from suzycohen.com

But I'm reading it can cause cancer. Any thoughts?

MeSci

(Sodium bicarbonate) It probably depends on your diet - if you are on a low-acid/high-alkaline diet you probably don't need to worry as much?

Nanni

It looks like we have made the same discovery regarding sodium bicarbonate:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...and-mercury-detoxing.30967/page-4#post-536906

Some of the things to extract from the above thread:
* Using a conductivity meter to keep your hydration and electrolytes in balance
* Using pH paper to measure acidity in urine and saliva
* Why baking sodium (which is sodium bicarbonate) works: the body of the CFS sufferer is being thrown into glycolysis, and the bicarb is a direct attack on the acidity, neutralizing it quickly in the blood
* Using potassium bicarbonate as a supplement with the sodium bicarbonate to maintain potassium balance

In my own case, I believe that my CFS was caused by mercury, and the above thread explains why.

The catalase is not something I have tried, and I like your theory about dealing with hydrogen peroxide! As you age you lose a lot of your antioxidants against reactive oxygen species inside the mitochondria. Do you know if the catalase is available in a liposomal form? Because if your theory is correct, the place you might want to use this would be inside the mitochondria, and getting absorption inside the cell might be an issue.

Do you have some online references or books you like that describe catalase supplementation and how it might deal with hydrogen peroxide? The other supplements you describe I don't think would dramatically affect post exertional malaise. Glutathione outright makes me ill, but that is because I have a thiol sensitivity. Baking soda however is DRAMATIC: clearing most acidity within a few hours. Catalase logically strikes me as something that could be a game changer as well, and I want to read more.
I l learned that most people need a little baking soda every day to get their ph more in balance as most of us tend to be too acidic. But what is really interesting is you need to be a little less acidic to detox. I started doing a teaspoon a day and electrolyte powder before long,low heat, saunas. Extremely helpful.

Bansaw

I l learned that most people need a little baking soda every day
My doc warned me about taking baking soda every day since it would affect stomach acid and you could find yourself not digesting efficiently. I myself do take it after exercise and it does help, which is about three times a week. But I don't take it everyday.

Artemisia

I too was thinking that sodium bicarbonate might be the best place to start. It is very cheap! I have been taking it for nearly 3 years, and always get worse if I try stopping.

Recently I have started to notice a lift in strength and energy about 15 minutes after taking it. Sadly it doesn't last long, but it's useful if I have to do anything tiring like walking up a hill or some gardening.
This is a very old thread but I wonder if you're still taking baking soda (and how often) and if it still helps with PEM. Some comments in this thread mentioned it could interfere with digestion if taken daily. Thanks.

MeSci

This is a very old thread but I wonder if you're still taking baking soda (and how often) and if it still helps with PEM. Some comments in this thread mentioned it could interfere with digestion if taken daily. Thanks.
I don't know if it interferes with digestion, but I really need it, so am still taking it. I take about a teaspoonful a day. My digestion is not very good, but it's been like that for a long time.

It might not be suitable for everyone.

Nanni

The ph problem I thought I had turned out to be something very different. I recently discovered foods that have been effecting my digestion, fermented foods. They’re fantastic for some people but they can be awful if they provoke a histamine response which is tricky to detect sometimes. It’s much more than rashes and sniffles. It can cause neural inflammation and everything that can cause, fatigue, POT, etc.. I eat a lot of yogurt so it’s been a very noticeable change and it’s only been a week.

I’m just learning about Long Covid and the tie in to MCAS, mast cell activation syndrome. What an important area of study for me/cfs. Although according to Ron Davis Long Covid is mecfs.

Artemisia

The ph problem I thought I had turned out to be something very different. I recently discovered foods that have been effecting my digestion, fermented foods. They’re fantastic for some people but they can be awful if they provoke a histamine response which is tricky to detect sometimes. It’s much more than rashes and sniffles. It can cause neural inflammation and everything that can cause, fatigue, POT, etc.. I eat a lot of yogurt so it’s been a very noticeable change and it’s only been a week.

I’m just learning about Long Covid and the tie in to MCAS, mast cell activation syndrome. What an important area of study for me/cfs. Although according to Ron Davis Long Covid is mecfs.

The biologist Dr Ray Peat recommends people avoid fermented food due to its tendency to produce lactic acid in the body (in addition to the histamine response you noticed). I never noticed any benefit from back when I used to make my own sauerkraut and kombucha, and now I don't have nearly the energy to do so anyway. And I notice immediate PEM / crashiness from eating yogurt.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
The biologist Dr Ray Peat recommends people avoid fermented food due to its tendency to produce lactic acid in the body (in addition to the histamine response you noticed).

I think it depends. I didn't used to be able to do fermented things. I still can't do anything with vinegar or products with added lactic acid, but natural ferments I seem okay with.

After several long cycles of antibiotics, some of my sensitivities improved. For years, sauerkraut would cause my nose to plug up within 5-10 minutes after eating some.

Now it doesn't have that effect on me at all. Actually after trying some Neem or Kudzu (can't remember which one caused the problem) this summer past, I had a severe bout of gastritis.

Sheep yogurt and natural ferment sauerkraut were the only things that cleared it up. I would have never believed my sensitivities would improve but they did after the antibiotics; not for everything but for some.

??