Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Acetyl l-carnitine and co q10 combo

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by jayne73, Mar 20, 2017.

1. jayne73

jayne73

U.K.
    Hi this is my first post but I'm not new to CFS.
    I have started taking the following doses together: carnitine 1.5g and Q10 250mg. Within 20 minutes of taking these in the morning I get a surge of energy, this lasts for 4 hours before I come crashing down with extreme fatigue and heavy fog. I'm going to try spreading the doses out tomorrow but has anyone else experiencing this, I feel like absolute crap and can't function this afternoon. [​IMG]

2. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Q10 blew my head off and made me feel really wierd. I read everything on PR that others had to say about it beforehand and was quite hopeful, but stopped within a couple of days.

3. jayne73

jayne73

U.K.
    Thanks for your reply. I tried the supplements seperately and neither had an effect. It was the combination of the two which had a massive improvement on my fatigue, I didn't feel wired but full of energy and really good but only for 4 hours. Did you feel worse after the q10 had worn off, I felt awful afterwards. I think I need to experiment a bit with the 2 supplements and hopefully find something that works for me.

4. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I've just checked my notes. I took Q10 for two days, it made me dopey and headachey. I took 100 mg on the morning of day 1, and felt dizzy and very tired over the middle part of the day. On day 2, I took another 100 mg and again felt very tired over lunchtime and had a mild headache. My notes also say "great a.m.", which I suppose must mean that I had a good morning after taking the tablet, at least on day 2. It was last September. I stopped taking them and was back to how I normally feel the next day.

Webdog likes this.
  5. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

USA
    Large doses of carnitine (2gm) suppress the thyroid, in fact, it is often used as a treatment for hyperthyroidism. More conservative amounts of carnitine such as 500mg won't have the same effect. It's possible you're getting a boost from the coQ10, followed by a thyroid-suppressing crash from the carnitine.
    Effects of carnitine on thyroid hormone action
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15591013
    Abstract
    Why not try them one at a time to see what's causing what?

Helen likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.