• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Accomodation in Brussels while having treatment

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Not sure where to put this, but as its about treatment...

I have been advised by KDM that he may not be able to treat me remotely, which may mean 5 -6 months living in Brussels. There are a number of issues with this, but the by far the largest hurdle is accommodation. Accommodation in Brussels is really expensive.

The clinic treatment costs are, I think, pretty reasonable (as far as I can gather) NOBODY IS GETTING RICH, BUT PATIENTS ARE GETTING TREATED (sorry not shouting, caps lock). But the living costs are going to be astronomical. I need to have one person with me all the time - ic ant shop, cook etc alone and travel to and from from clinic, I also get anxiety and need to feel there is a 'safe person' around. I may be able to do this by rotating family members - my husband cant move with me as the children are at just the wrong age with school etc so need to be at home - it will be awful to be away so long.

I cant keep travelling backwards and forwards as I am too ill and it could really worsen my condition/ If my older children come for a few months each then I will need to financially support them as well as me as they do not have saving etc.

I wont be able to do public transport so need to be nearish the clinic (northern Bx or Vilvoorde) so that I can afford taxis to and from the clinic no ideas of the cost of this either - I know they are EXPENSIVE in Bx.

So I geuss this is a question for anyone who has/is doing it - where can I get reasonable accommodation in northern Brussels? I see imoweb - but they do long term rentals, not usually furnished so that's not an option - I enquired about a great one in Vilvoorde this week, but they wanted minimum 3 years term - so normal renting may be out, even though tis the cheapest option.

AIR BnB ETC only have appartments in mainly central Brussels and I found one very small apartment in Evere (bit closer) for 50euros a night - but that is still about 1500 euros a month!

There are some aparthotels (Pegasus) which look good, but rent is 1700 euros a month for two bed, but at least includes bills, wifi etc- there are some in Laeken which look quite good, near some shops, near ring road.

What have others done? I need to fundraise money for treatment - costs for treatment will ironically be the smallest part of money needed.

Anyone here who lives in Belgium got an insight into how the rental system works?

It would be great to have a house or large flat near the clinic, set up for all patients to use and pay for as they are there - like they have attached to some hsopitals for family to live in while their children are in long stay. Anyway that's just a good idea, I cant see that happening anytime soon, or anyone having the energy to sort it out.

Just looking to trade ideas with anyone whos in the know...

All the best
Justy.

@justy - @RML is currently in the process of getting the same situation set up for her treatment in Brussels, which starts August 4th. So maybe she'll have some good tips by the time you get there. I think she's going with a normal apartment rental, instead of a hotel or vacation rental.

a 5-10 minute taxi ride cost me and my mom 15-20 euros each way. There is a bus (#47) which comes pretty close to the clinic, though it's too far to walk from the bus stop if you usually need a wheelchair. Getting a place to live on that route is probably the easiest option if you can't afford 150 euros for taxi fare every week. Here's the map of it with some of the major street names visible:
47_north.gif

47_south.gif

Last edited:

justy

Thanks @valentjin - buses are probably not going to be an option. I thought @RML was getting somewhere through air bnb? I know they must be very busy right now getting ready to go. Its so hard to imagine a trip like this without my family and children... I need more than just the 12 weeks IV... I may need to be there for 6 months - yikes!

justy

The bus map is good - might help to find somewhere along the route perhaps? I will need wheelchair from bus stop, and when my mum coms, she may not be able to push as she is 76 and I am not light.

bertiedog

@justy I do hope somebody is going to be able to help you with this because it is so difficult to organise it from so far away especially when you don't know the area. Fingers crossed that you will be able to work something out that is going to work for you.

Would KdM's clinic possibly know of any other patients who need to house or flat share whilst they are having treatment? It might work out cheaper that way and I would have thought that there must be others in a similar situation.

Good Luck
Pam

Gingergrrl

@justy I wish I had some helpful advice but wanted to let you know I was thinking about you and hoping the pieces will all fall into place with finding the right accommodations for Brussels. How much time until you start treatment?

RML

There is very little, in fact none, even along the bus line, or near clinic. At least that I could find anyway. I mainly used airbnb, but did glance at other sites too, but they were harder to understand as not always in English.

Best thing to do is start as early as possible looking. When do your IV's start @justy ?

I spent far too long, over a month, trying to get it organised to do it at home. By time that came to a complete dead end, it was less than a month to go til I started, and some places I liked didn't have full availability for the 3 months.

But then another big hurdle was the prices, it depends on your budget of course. But average per month is 1500-2000E. I did see one or two places in Laeken that I estimated to be 10-15 minute walk to end of bus line, so I thought great, but were 1700 ish.

There is very little under a 1000E, near or far away. In the end, for me the place I got is 350E more than my original max budget and double what I was hoping or aiming to pay a month. Having said that, it is a good price compared to what else is available all around it. And due to a mix up and problems with organising it, I will have a stay the first week at Eurovolley, before moving in properly.

Some people do stay at Eurovolley, but I couldn't imagine staying there for 3 months, and the downsides of this for me were too great. I can understand that being near the clinic and having a lift to clinic are big pluses of course. So if these are greatest concern, it might be a good option.

Another option to keep it cheap, would be taking a spare bedroom, within a family home. But then these aren't actually cheap either, some were ridiculous prices. A few were ok prices though, depends on how many you are bringing with you to help too.

I also briefly considered taking a ferry there and bringing a car, but I no longer drive, and my mum is a nervous driver even at home, let alone driving on wrong side and unfamiliar roads /routes. But having a car present would make it a whole lot easier too.

justy

Thanks @RML - sounds like we have discovered the same obstacles. Pretty sure im not going to be able to do buses - also when my mum is there will be difficult as she is 76 and wont be able to push my wheelchair! I cant drive well over here, so not trying there - also a problem if herxing and more sick!

I figure about 1500 - 1700 a month - that's about 800 more than I would have thought was reasonable, especially as I may have to stay for 6 months. Its ruinously expensive. I cant imagine staying in someone else's house. I have sound and chemical sensitivity issues, so need to be in an environment i can largely control. There is an aparthotel in Laeken, near the ring road that looks good - if im going to pay that much then may as well have what I need, but I have no idea how far that is to clinic and how much taxis will cost. There is also one in Grimbergen, but it looks like its in a very residential area, with no shops etc nearby - which could make things hard.

@RML - what area is the place you are staying in? will you travel around by bus?

In terms of when I am going, I don't know yet. I got KDM's treatment plan a couple of weeks ago, but it is quite vague and I need to speak to him again to discuss what he wants to do more specifically, how long for, how frequently, the costs involved and when I can get booked in to come. Then I have to raise something like £15,000 pounds minimum to pay for it all, Sort out carers/friends/family to come with me, and arrange it around my husbands work obligations as he will come for the first couple of weeks.

we also have children to consider - the youngest two are still at home and need looking after, whilst the eldest two may be able to help out with coming to Brussels for a bit (they are 22 and 20 without major commitments).

I have never spent much time away from my family, apart from a few days here and there over the past 22 years. And I haven't been away without my husband for the past 6 years as I have been much too ill. It's a big ask and quite scary. But what else am I going to do? just sit here and get worse, or perhaps die?

brenda

@justy
What about private hospitals (BUPA) here? Surely there is one within travel distance which will do IV for you?

Youth hostels on the continent are often very good with your own cooking facilites.

justy

@justy
What about private hospitals (BUPA) here? Surely there is one within travel distance which will do IV for you?

Youth hostels on the continent are often very good with your own cooking facilites.
I haven't been able to find ANY private hospitals in the uk that do GG therapy. If anyone knows do tell me...

I e mailed Breakspear, but they have not replied - I imagine it would be extremely expensive if they did do it. As far as accommodation goes I don't mind youth hostels if I can find one near enough - the problem with Bx is that most accommodation is in the city centre and that is too far to travel - I cant do public transport and taxi would be too expensive. The clinic is on the northern edge of the city, where there is the least accommodation.

brenda

What about buying a caravan and taking it over (then selling it later). Could you park up in the clinic car park (without your car of course as your hubby will be driving back I suppose).

I was thinking more on the lines that the private hospital would just supervise the IV's.

Tito

What about purchasing the IV solutions from KDM and asking a nurse to "plug it in" at your home in the UK?
It seems the plan to move to Brussels to get IVs of antibiotics 3-4 times seems a bit complicated.

There is very little, in fact none, even along the bus line, or near clinic. At least that I could find anyway. I mainly used airbnb, but did glance at other sites too, but they were harder to understand as not always in English.
But ... but ... what about the guy with two couches in his living room for 30 euros per night?!? :rofl:

Seriously, I'm pretty shocked at how little there is to rent short term, and how expensive it is. The cheapest I've seen is 800 euros for a single bedroom with a double bed in someone else's home.

Results from a Dutch and French language site for apartments with lifts is at this location. Costs are 850-1000 euros for 2-3 bedrooms, unfurnished. The two which have their locations listed are 1-2 blocks from the bus line which goes by the clinic.

Results without lifts, for those who can handle stairs, are at this location. Costs are 570-770 for mostly 1 bedroom apartments (also one studio and one 2-bedroom apartment).

justy

What about purchasing the IV solutions from KDM and asking a nurse to "plug it in" at your home in the UK?
It seems the plan to move to Brussels to get IVs of antibiotics 3-4 times seems a bit complicated.
I wont be getting IV antibiotics 3 or 4 times, but 3 or 4 times a week for 12 weeks, that's AFTER 3 months of IV gamma globulin treatment. Its not really complicated. Its either move to Brussels for 3- 6 months for treatment at the clinic OR stay home and try alternatives. KDM was clear that my case was complex and treating from a distance may not be possible.

I just want to get better. Or at least have a stab at getting better.

I live in a very rural location and there are no nursing services that could come here. I don't think buying GG is that easy, in the UK its a fairly restricted and expensive blood product.

justy

What about buying a caravan and taking it over (then selling it later). Could you park up in the clinic car park (without your car of course as your hubby will be driving back I suppose).

I was thinking more on the lines that the private hospital would just supervise the IV's.
Unfortunately I may be going in the winter and Brussels is COLD - snow on the ground at times. Spending weeks at a time with any f my family members in a small space is also not an option im afraid. But these are all good suggestions.

I looked at hostels, and apart from all being too far into the city centre, they were about £50 a night at least for two people, which is no cheaper than an apartment I have seen on air bnb - a lovely couple in Evere quoted me 50 euros a night for a small one bed with lift and single bed on mezzanine floor if I book for more than a month. It looks promising.

justy

But ... but ... what about the guy with two couches in his living room for 30 euros per night?!? :rofl:

Seriously, I'm pretty shocked at how little there is to rent short term, and how expensive it is. The cheapest I've seen is 800 euros for a single bedroom with a double bed in someone else's home.

Results from a Dutch and French language site for apartments with lifts is at this location. Costs are 850-1000 euros for 2-3 bedrooms, unfurnished. The two which have their locations listed are 1-2 blocks from the bus line which goes by the clinic.

Results without lifts, for those who can handle stairs, are at this location. Costs are 570-770 for mostly 1 bedroom apartments (also one studio and one 2-bedroom apartment).

Yes it looks like that in Brussels - its mad!!

Imoweb looks good - I did enquire about a furnished 1 bed in Vilvoorde that looked perfect, for 900 euros but the agent said I wouldn't get an apartment to rent (unless a holiday one) for a 6 month let. he said the owner would only sign a minimum 3 year contract. Unfurnished is not an option - its way too difficult to furnish a flat with beds, bedding etc etc and then sell it all afterwards again. The imoweb guy seemed to think no one was going to rent me a flat for 6 months (unless a long holiday let)

Anyway, I think the first thing to do is find out from the clinic how long I need tp be there for and cost of treatment. I have sent an e mail, but they have not replied - not sure if I can expect them to. KDM's treatment plan was not in depth so I have asked for more info.

Gingergrrl

@justy Does Brussels have any kind of car service comparable to the one in the U.S. called "Uber?" If the distance is not too far, it is easier, cleaner, more reliable, and cheaper than using taxis. I just don't know if something like this exists in Europe? Here it is a free app for the phone.