• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ACAT/BHMT supplement with COMT+/+

MMe

I'm trying to figure out where I have to start with my methylation protocol.

Caledonia answered me in another thread:
So you would work on your SNPs in this order - First do the First Priority Mutations ACAT, then CBS. Then do the Second Priority Mutations - MTHFR, MTRR, BHMT, MAO A, VDR.
The supplementation for ACAT is extensive. Yasko makes an all in one supplement for ACAT and BHMT that combines everything you need into one pill. It sounds expensive, but I think it's cost effective.

There are a lot of things in that ACAT/BHMT supp from Yasko. Among others: Curcumin, CoQ10, ALA, methionine... which I think I'm NOT supposed to take because I'm COMT+/+.
Has anyone else with similar SNP's taken this supp without side effects? It's very expensive so I don't want to do an 'experiment'...

(and any story from anyone with similar SNP's is welcome! :))

Thanks!

greenshots

No, its not stupid at all but ACAT isn't exactly common, and having the COMT ++ with it, and then having someone who wants to do Yasko stuff for it isn't as common. You're not liable to get many bites on this. From what I've seen, not that many docs recommend this combo for adults with chronic disease since its more likely to cause problems. I wouldn't take all those methyls with a COMT ++ myself. I don't know all the stuff she's got in that one but It might be better to look at some of the stuff that isn't a methyl like vit K, Riboflavin, and other stuff. I know she says Coq10 is good for most people who are sick, since they need it, but maybe lower doses of something like that. The big thing is digestive enzymes since gut problems can cause high fatty acids that poison the mitochondria even more but I don't remember the other parts she talked about.

MMe

Tnx Angela! I was wondering myself if the methylation protocols as proposed by Richvank and Fredd were suitable for me.

ACAT affects the gut: I've been working on restoring gut health for the last 6 months. So that part of the work has been done. I've cleaned up candida and a bacterial infection. Now I'm still struggling with a parasite (giardia lamblia) but I don't have any symptoms.
I've been taking Enzymedica Basic Digest for a while and restarted it this week (because I know now of the ACAT +/-).

Looks like I'm rather 'exceptional' as it comes to SNP's... :(
When you want to treat the COMT/MAO stuff, you have to do first ACAT, CBS, ... But because of the COMT/MAO, you can't tolerate most of the supps... Complicated...