1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ACAT/BHMT supplement with COMT+/+

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by MMe, Jun 28, 2013.

1. MMe

MMe

I'm trying to figure out where I have to start with my methylation protocol.

Caledonia answered me in another thread:
    There are a lot of things in that ACAT/BHMT supp from Yasko. Among others: Curcumin, CoQ10, ALA, methionine... which I think I'm NOT supposed to take because I'm COMT+/+.
    Has anyone else with similar SNP's taken this supp without side effects? It's very expensive so I don't want to do an 'experiment'...

(and any story from anyone with similar SNP's is welcome! :))

Thanks!

2. MMe

MMe

Did I ask something very stupid??? :confused:

3. greenshots

greenshots Senior Member

California
    No, its not stupid at all but ACAT isn't exactly common, and having the COMT ++ with it, and then having someone who wants to do Yasko stuff for it isn't as common. You're not liable to get many bites on this. From what I've seen, not that many docs recommend this combo for adults with chronic disease since its more likely to cause problems. I wouldn't take all those methyls with a COMT ++ myself. I don't know all the stuff she's got in that one but It might be better to look at some of the stuff that isn't a methyl like vit K, Riboflavin, and other stuff. I know she says Coq10 is good for most people who are sick, since they need it, but maybe lower doses of something like that. The big thing is digestive enzymes since gut problems can cause high fatty acids that poison the mitochondria even more but I don't remember the other parts she talked about.

4. MMe

MMe

Tnx Angela! I was wondering myself if the methylation protocols as proposed by Richvank and Fredd were suitable for me.

ACAT affects the gut: I've been working on restoring gut health for the last 6 months. So that part of the work has been done. I've cleaned up candida and a bacterial infection. Now I'm still struggling with a parasite (giardia lamblia) but I don't have any symptoms.
    I've been taking Enzymedica Basic Digest for a while and restarted it this week (because I know now of the ACAT +/-).

Looks like I'm rather 'exceptional' as it comes to SNP's... :(
    When you want to treat the COMT/MAO stuff, you have to do first ACAT, CBS, ... But because of the COMT/MAO, you can't tolerate most of the supps... Complicated...

See more popular forum discussions.