1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Abstracts from the 1st XMRV Conference

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by George, Sep 20, 2010.

1. aruschima

aruschima I know nothing

Global
    Georgieeeeea, as usual you sniffed out the interesting stuff. There is so much info here, where is the link to the info on EBV / XMRV pairing up ?
  2. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

joey posted this:
    From Abstract P_04 by Cleveland Clinic Foundation:

The chemokine IL-8 is one of the most highly induced genes in response to XMRV infection of prostate cancer cell line DU145

______

in response to joey's first point (above) i will repost this info below. as you will see, the IL-8 is sky high in CFS patients vs health controls.
    _____

Treating cytokine up/down-regulation

WPI & NCI Paper

"Type 1 IFN Pathyway Response to Viral Infection in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

Mikovits,J. Hagen,K. Peterson,D. Stephens,R. Lombardi,V.
    Whittemore Peterson Institute, Reno, NV, USA. Laboratory of Experimental Immunology, National Cancer Institute-Frederick, Frederick, MD, USA.

118 CFS patients
    138 Controls

Cytokines/Chemokines:

CFS:

IL-8: 1045
    MIP-1a: 763
    MIP-1b: 1985
    IL-6: 336
    TNF-a: 148
    IL-1b: 500
    IP-10: 98
    IFN-a: 35
    IL-13: 28
    IL-7 160

Controls:

IL-8: 13
    MIP-1a: 91
    MIP-1b: 164
    IL-6: 29
    TNF-a: 13
    IL-1b: 56
    IP-10: 32
    IFN-a: 60
    IL-13: 86
    IL-7: 60

Guide to Chemokines/Cytokines:

IL-8: RNase L & CMV activated
    MIP-1a: Elevated in neurodegenerative disease
    MIP-1b: Elevated in neurodegenerative disease
    IL-6: Stimulates chronic inflammation
    TNF-a: Stimulates chronic inflammation
    IL-1b: Stimulates chronic inflammation
    IP-10: Interferon response protein
    IFN-a:Stimulates macrophages and NK cells to elicit an anti viral response
    IL-13: Inhibits inflammatory cytokine production
    IL-7: Stimulates proliferation of B & T lymphocytes & NK cells

Summary and conclusions:

Cytokine and Chemokine profiling in combination with machine logic algorythms reveals an inflammatory signature consistent with an over-expression of herpes virus and is useful for diagnosis for CFS
  3. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Rrrrr,

prrrrrrrrrrr

How do we get media attention on all this? I presume Mindy Kitei is summarizing all this gold for publication? Where do we go from here?
    Science Daily, which I read for kicks (?!) has NO section on CFS, and only negative articles about the doubtful or nonexistent link between CFS and XMRV.
    I guess it's mostly up to the patient community to shift the media slant now? I'm not in the know on how to do that.
  4. mojoey

mojoey Senior Member

I emailed Amy Dockser Marcus from WSJ the info this morning.
  5. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Great! Did you forward the whole lot of abstracts? What's the correct protocol for contacting journalists? Do we have names for the health/science reporters at the other biggies? Like I said, I'm a moron in this department. I'm imagining most of them await press releases from the CDC or NIH to write articles on subjects like these?
  6. Otis

Otis SeƱor Mumbler

USA
    Here's a cleaned up version of the abstracts in MS Word format

This version is much easier to read. It's not formatted much but it's much more readable and will make cutting and pasting an abstract easier.

Here's the link to download:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0wsvpr.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the download button. You may get a popup - just close it if you do. That's the price for a "free" service. I ran a virus scan and it's a clean document. PM me if you have any troubles.

I suggest starting an individual thread for each abstract you want to discuss, and use the abstract "name" (e.g. 'O_01') and the title (e.g "Basic virology Screening mouse genomes for XMRV-like elements") in the thread title. I think we'll get more participation if we break out the discussions that way.
  7. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Great work and great suggestion, Otis.
  8. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

great question, leela! i think we need to support the effort that are out there already, like the buying of a HUGE ad in the washington post (see advocacy section for that: http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...nched-This-WILL-Get-the-Attention-of-MILLIONS!)

and i think individuals need to hold their own public protests and call their local media to come attend it. sorta like this one woman protest this person did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME764z_4vEY

and if you can't do an outdoor protest, then a good video of you in yr bed, sick, sent to HHS secretary sebelius or NIH director collins are great alternatives. like this video this person did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t1Xqp1LDxM

those are my thoughts.

if we don't act to change things, they won't get changed. it is in our hands.
  9. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    XMRV presence in those cells could be down to coinfections/cofactors. Have a look at these:

Lancet. 1994 Jan 29;343(8892):255-8.
    Co-infection and synergy of human immunodeficiency virus-1 and herpes simplex virus-1.
    Heng MC, Heng SY, Allen SG. Department of Medicine, UCLA San Fernando Valley Internal Medicine Program, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Sepulveda 91343.
    The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) uses the CD4 molecule, expressed by T helper cells and activated macrophages, as a receptor for entry into host cells. In tissues co-infected with herpes simplex type 1 (HSV-1), HIV-1 virions were observed to infect keratinocytes, which, because they lack the CD4 molecule, are normally incapable of being infected by HIV-1. Although a number of other viruses have been reported to enhance HIV-1 viral transcription in vitro, this is the first in-vivo report to our knowledge of reciprocal enhancement of viral replication associated with co-infection of keratinocytes and macrophages by HIV-1 and HSV-1 in patients with AIDS and non-genital herpes simplex lesions. The virions in the co-infected cells were larger, morphologically atypical, and appear to be hybrids; most contain the HIV-1 envelope necessary for infectivity. The increased viral load and the proximity of the virions to the cutaneous surface may lead to increased risk of transcutaneous transmission of both viruses. These findings point to the need for incorporation of suppressive treatment for herpes simplex in the treatment of AIDS. PMID: 7905094

AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1990 May;6(5):641-7.
    Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) can coinfect and simultaneously replicate in the same human CD4+ cell: effect of coinfection on infectious HSV-2 and HIV-1 replication.
    Kucera LS, Leake E, Iyer N, Raben D, Myrvik QN. Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27103.
    Experiments were designed to determine whether HIV-1 and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) coinfection leads to simultaneous replication of both viruses in the same human CD4+ cell (MT-4 cell line) and the possible effects of coinfection on infectious virus production. Results from transmission electron microscopy analysis revealed replication of typical HSV-2 nucleocapsids in the nucleus and budding of HIV-1 particles through the plasma membrane and through intracytoplasmic vacuoles containing enveloped HSV-2 particles in the same coinfected cell. Coinfection of HIV-1 persistently infected H9IIIB or promonocytic U1 cells with HSV-2 did not alter total production of infectious HSV-2 or the percentage of HSV-2 infectious centers compared with control H9 and U937 cells infected with HSV-2 alone. However, in coinfected promonocytic U1 cells HSV-2 induced infectious HIV-1 production measured by syncytial plaque assay. In summary, both HIV-1 and HSV-2 can coinfect and simultaneously replicate in the same human CD4+ cell. Interactions between HIV-1 and HSV-2 appear to be unidirectional, resulting in accelerated replication of HIV-1 as reported by Albrecht et al. (J Virol 1989;63:1861-1868), but not HSV-2 as shown by us. PMID: 1972888
  10. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    A printable PDF of the abstracts

Hi all,
    I managed to find a way around the pdf security settings on the original abstract pdf. My version looks exactly like the original, except it can be printed. Also you can copy and paste text from it. Thought it might be useful to someone out there.

http://www.divshare.com/download/12629255-deb

Please ignore any pop-up windows (the price of using free file hosting), and excuse the 15 second wait-time.

Enjoy!
    ;)
    garcia.
  11. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    My take on XMRV from the Buzz Page
    http://aboutmecfs.org/Rsrch/XMRVBuzz.aspx

XMRV International Workshop Abstracts

12. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Second part

13. jimm

jimm

why is no one picking up on the fact that the infected wild mice had panleukopenia????? this is a lowered immune system i.e low white cells accross the board....leaving them open to more infections on top...like HIV people...I am a patient who HAS panleukopenia and have always thought it was part of what ever is wrong with me...I am suprised more people havent picked up on this it seems really significant
  14. FunkOdyssey

FunkOdyssey Senior Member

Yeah, I've had a low white cell count forever too. Bone marrow results were normal, doctor shrugged, congratulated me on not having cancer, and sent me home. I think its related to or caused by the high rates of neutrophil apoptosis that are found in CFS patients. Specifically my neutrophils are always low and seem to be dragging down the overall WBC count.
  15. jimm

jimm

exactly the same here....i didnt get bone marrow test tho but haematologist just wanst interested, apart from ironically giving me an HIV test and all the hepatitis tests, once they were negative he just sent me on my way....which i found ironic....like it could have been hiv or hepatitis or NOTHING...seems a bit of an extreme range....but my neutrophils and lymphocytes are always low so I think it must be signigficant, hence it jumped out at me when i saw this about the wild mice,...sounds so plausable
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi George,

I completely agree with this. Let me give you a quotable bite: Science by Sound Bites!

Bye
    Alex

See more popular forum discussions.