Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Absorption problems

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by sleepingbeautycan, Feb 17, 2016.

1. sleepingbeautycan

sleepingbeautycan

I read about MTHFR and a lot of the symptoms are things that I have had. I have been diagnosed with CFS and bipolar disorder but they both went away when I stopped eating gluten, soy, yeast and dairy 10 years ago. Actually the bipolar went away immediately and the CFS went away 2 years later. About 2 years ago my IBS went on vacation when I did some work with probiotics (and other stuff). It came back last month when I went on a whole30 diet.

Anyway when I heard about the MTHFR gene mutation, all of my "syndromes" had a common cause. So I am going to be doing a genetic test. I thought while I was waiting for the response, I would do a test with a methylated b-complex. I have been taking 1 daily:
    • Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin-5-phosphate sodium) 2.5 mg
    • Vitamin B3 (Niacin-from 129 mg Inositol Hexanicotinate per capsule) 118 mg 197%
    • Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxal-5-phosphate) 33 mg 550%
    • Folic Acid (calcium L-5-methyltretrahydrofolate) 333 mcg 83%
    • Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin) 333 mcg 5556%
    • Biotin 167 mcg 56%
    • Vitamin B5 (Pantethine, Calcium d-Pantothenate) 100 mg 333%
    • Vitamin B1 (Benfotiamine) 33 mg
    • Choline bitartrate 200 mg
    • Inositol (from Inositol, Inositol Hexanicotinate) 131 mg*
    I thought if I indeed was insufficient in methylfolate or methylcobalamin then I would likely have some reaction. But nothing. Any ideas?

Am I dreaming about a MTHFR connection. I have always had poor adsorption of vitamins, I injected B12 (cyanocobalamin) whenever I had symptoms to make them go away but my serum b12 has been high. I take 10 D3 in order to avoid bone pain and other vitamin d deficiency symptoms and I still struggle in the February/March timeframe. So whenever I have to take a vitamin I seem to do better avoiding my stomach. Could it be my poor absorption is hiding the methylation process?

Thanks for your help.

2. sleepingbeautycan

sleepingbeautycan

Weird thing, I haven't sweated in years. Never had to use underarm deodorant, never dripped during exercise. Today I had sweaty pits. (sorry about the tmi) Maybe things are changing but not what I expected to see.

3. sleepingbeautycan

sleepingbeautycan

Well tonight I woke up feeling shaky. I think the same issue happened last night but I was too drowsy to figure out that I wasn't feeling well. My heart beat is weird. So I took some potassium. It might be a panic attack but whatever it was woke me up and caused nausea and disorientation.

4. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    Those symptoms might be due to low blood sugar. If it happens again try eating a small snack that contains some fat and protein (such as a small handful of nuts, or cheese) to raise your blood sugar without increasing it too quickly. If the symptoms fade within a few minutes after eating then they're probably related to low blood sugar.

5. sleepingbeautycan

sleepingbeautycan

I will do that. Thank you.

See more popular forum discussions.