1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Abrupt Continuous Weight Loss

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by sleepy237, Nov 17, 2013.

1. sleepy237

sleepy237 Senior Member

Hell
    When I first got sick I weighed around 92kg; was a gradual gain but my steady weight was in better days around 73kg. Around 2011 I started to lose weight and I am still losing weight and its almost spontanous losing i.e scales ( and they are accurate ) read 67 kg five days ago now down to 63.5. It has been documented and I don't know if this is normal feature of cfs? I have talked to at least one member who thought perhaps thyroid ( this checked out ok ) but I do take levothyroxine. Ummm the doctor says if it continued he would start to look for underlying disease process. I take low dose naltrexone and I am thinking could it be pushing my metabolism too much? Or after reading a thread earlier, I guess because of factors I don't eat properly or regularly and I have slight malnutrition. anyway I will go see the doctor but I just wondered how many people related if any? I couldnt get near this weight ( I'm heavy boned ) in my 20's even with diet and exercise so it's not normal. I have read adrenal fatigue can cause abrupt weight loss but so can many other things. anyway I think I have detailed this correctly and I thank you for any replies if you relate.
    thanks , sleepy
    rosie26 likes this.
  2. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Hi sleepy 237

I lost a lot of weight at onset and have not been able to get back to my normal weight of 65kg for the last 12 years.

Every time I get up close to the 60kg mark, my ME deteriorates and I lose the weight I have gained. My weight usually hangs around 55kg.

My ME doesn't seem to like me carrying any weight above 60kg. Extra weight triggers ME deterioration for me. x
    sleepy237 likes this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I hope you can find some answers soon @sleepy237. Take care of yourself. :hug:
    rosie26 and sleepy237 like this.
  4. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    Like Rosie26 I was around 65kg at onset over 2 years ago. Over a short period I went down to 54kg. I'm 56kg now and struggle to keep weight on. I'm 165cm so I'm on the skinny side. My situation is complicated because since 1997 I have been a skinny type 2 diabetic. I am now on metformin as diet alone doesn't work for me anymore and I can no longer exercise. I eat small and often and still need to control carbs carefully even with the metformin. I did get back up to 58kg a few months ago but have lost a couple of kg on an elimination diet. Diabetes and elimination diet aside, I believe that my significant weight loss was due to CFS.

I think getting checked to rule out underlying disease other than CFS is a very good idea. There could be other reasons for such weight loss. I also think that good nutrition is very important with CFS although not always easy to achieve if you are very debilitated and do not have support. I hope you find some answers soon. Thinking of you.
    sleepy237 and rosie26 like this.
  5. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    In my experience it's very likely to be LDN. I've gotten this effect (weight loss) before from it on multiple occasions. The only way I can describe it is that it was like no matter how much I would eat, the food would pass straight through me. I think the weight-loss is gut / micro-flora mediated, though I don't fully understand it.
    sleepy237 and rosie26 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.