• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abnormal thirst and chronic bladder issues

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Care to elaborate?

I did a 12-hour (overnight) food and water fast. Then, in the morning, measured plasma osmolality (slightly above normal), urine osmolality (below normal) and plasma vasopressin (undetectable by lab!) The two abnormal osmolalities and, in particular, the total lack of vasopressin, clinched the diagnosis.

My urine osmo varies from almost zero (close to being pure water) and high end of normal. I eventually figured out what was happening - two different types of polyuria, one central, DI-type and one driven by solutes, which I now think is probably mainly lactate, resulting from hyperlactaemia which in turn results from over-exertion. This, and my theory that my severe hyponatraemia in 2007 and 2010 was due to sodium loss in urine as sodium lactate (driven by hyperlactaemia), were supported by a test finding of hyponatraemia plus quite high urine sodium. My body should have been trying to correct the low blood sodium by reducing sodium loss in urine (natriuresis) but maybe the excess lactate made it impossible.

Urine osmolality is largely due to sodium, ditto serum osmo, if I remember rightly.

xchocoholic

Hip

Some still think the only reason for the low ox diet is for kidney stones but thanks to the vulvodynia foundation, the word is out on how these can contribute to pelvic pain. Granted finding a doctor who knows this may not be easy.

I'm not up on the latest internet info on oxalates but the yahoo trying low oxalate board is a popular site for oxalate info and is run by Susan Owens, a Florida DAN / autism researcher of appr 20 years. She's a wealth of info. My biggest problem with the info on that board is the emphasis on what they call "dumping". I correlate what they call "dumping" to negative responses to other foods or chemicals that I'm intolerant of, eating too much junk food, an allergy flare, etc etc. But that's just my opinion.

I happened upon learning this correlation when my unexplained pelvic pain disappeared after going on this diet. My swelling is gone too ... :) I was more than a little irritated about figuring this out myself when I saw my gynocologist the next time. :mad: I always got that "I'm a DOCTOR so you should feel better that you've asked me about this but I can't explain why you have pain" expression from him on this. I don't understand why I'm supposed to feel better from a doctor NOT knowing the answer to my medical questions. o_O

Mast cell meds, wal-zyr - generic version of zyrtec, helped me at first with the swelling and pain but stopped after I got really seriously carried away and ate more nuts than any sane person should ... lol ... and the mast cell meds couldn't stop my body from forming kidney stones. Lesson learned the hard way of course.

tc ... x

xchocoholic

FWIW on the subject of over urinating ... Coffee and B2 or Riboflavin do this to me. Avoiding those eliminates this problem for me. I'm assuming we may have different triggers tho. tc ... x

PS. I know I researched coffee or caffeine and figured out why I react this way but I can't remember why now. Damn cfs brain.

I never figured out why B2 does this to me but I know if I want to take a little of this, I can take AZO with probiotics and not get this reaction. I just have to take the AZO with probiotics about 20 minutes prior. Regular AZO makes my bladder burn. About 5 - 6 years ago, I was reacting this way to the multi B I was taking and had to try each B individually to see what the culprit was. I still only react to B2 this way.

dannybex

That is interesting. I have not tried this diet, as I thought the low oxalate diet was just for kidney stones, but from what you are saying, this diet seems to have broader benefits.

Hip, I'm bumping this because I just read that your favorite supplement (NAG) is beneficial for oxalate issues.