Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Abnormal resting state functional connectivity in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: An arteria

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Kyla, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://www.mrijournal.com/article/S0730-725X(15)00303-3/abstract

leela, duncan, Research 1st and 10 others like this.
  2. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

That's intriguing. I have no idea what these acronyms and procedures are and no time right now to hunt them down. Anyone care to translate? Also what is known about previous work and institutional affiliations of these authors? What about the journal's reputation? Never heard of it. Thank you!

Lyratic and JaimeS like this.
  3. greeneagledown

greeneagledown Senior Member

@Jonathan Edwards -- Any thoughts? I know you're intrigued in general by brain-related studies in ME/CFS.

mango likes this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

I am not familiar with the details of these techniques so cannot comment on this particular study but I think brain imaging studies are definitely worth exploring further.

Gemini, MeSci and merylg like this.
  5. Dr Speedy

Dr Speedy

It's a special type of MRI scan which can quantify the blood flow in the brain

Research 1st and Marky90 like this.
  6. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Citation indicates corresponding author Roland Staud is at the University of Florida, Department of Medicine, Gainesville,FL...

Imaging from their Department of Radiation Oncology & Human Imaging Core of the Clinical & Translational Science Institute

Previous ME/CFS research involves CNS "Evidence for Fatigue Pathways in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" Pain, April 2015:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25659069

and Brain Connect, November 2015:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26449441

Edit: Adding background re: Dr. Staud's field "Rheumatology/Clinical Immunology" perhaps of interest to @Jonathan Edwards:

http://rheumatology.medicine.ufl.edu/about-us/division-faculty/roland-staud-m-d/

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Never Give Up likes this.
  7. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

Thank you for posting the study Kyla. For PWME stuck in the adhesive grip of Psychiatry, brain imaging studies is what we need to demonstrate a crippling neurological disease. (Hence the MRC funded the PACE trial to show the patients were mentally ill, and didn't spend £5 million of UK tax payers money on brain imaging studies).

Think how many years of patients lives having to suffer unable to 'think' correctly and feeling faint 24/7 (with normal BP) have been wasted by the reckless mismanagement of PWME by self reported 'fatigue'; defining CFS/ME. It is now 2016 and yet reduced brain blood flow (hypoperfusion) was demonstrated, way back in 1995 in, UK by Dr Costa.

So we knew this 21 years ago, and NOTHING had been done about it by NIH, CDC, HSS, UK Department of Health and so forth.

It's absolutely scandalous we're messing around debating CBT GET and the PACE scandal, when PWME have an observable brain blood flow dysfunction, of which other papers exist as well...and still the funding to follow this up, is zero.

See this historic paper from the UK (before 'CFS/ME' existed, and ME was ME) as an example.

Dr Speedy, merylg and duncan like this.
  8. duncan

duncan Senior Member

I cannot help but wonder why SPECT scans have fallen into disfavor.

See more popular forum discussions.