The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ablin: Distinctive personality profiles of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome patients

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by mango, Sep 17, 2016.

1. mango

mango Senior Member

Distinctive personality profiles of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome patients

Jacob N. Ablin1,2, Ada H. Zohar3, Reut Zaraya-Blum3, Dan Buskila4,5

September 13, 2016
    PeerJ 4:e2421 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.2421

Abstract
    Objective

The current study is an innovative exploratory investigation, aiming at identifying differences in personality profiles within Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) patients.

Method
    In total, 344 participants (309 female, 35 male) reported suffering from FMS and/or CFS and consented to participate in the study. Participants were recruited at an Israeli FM/CFS patient meeting held in May 2013, and through an announcement posted on several social networks. Participants were asked to complete a research questionnaire, which included FMS criteria and severity scales, and measures of personality, emotional functioning, positivity, social support and subjective assessment of general health. In total, 204 participants completed the research questionnaire (40.7% attrition rate).

Results
    A cluster analysis produced two distinct clusters, which differed significantly on psychological variables, but did not differ on demographic variables or illness severity. As compared to cluster number 2 (N = 107), participants classified into cluster number 1 (N = 97) showed a less adaptive pattern, with higher levels of Harm Avoidance and Alexithymia; higher prevalence of Type D personality; and lower levels of Persistence (PS), Reward dependence (RD), Cooperation, Self-directedness (SD), social support and positivity.

Conclusion
    The significant pattern of results indicates at least two distinct personality profiles of FM and CFS patients. Findings from this research may help improve the evaluation and treatment of FM and CFS patients, based on each patient’s unique needs, psychological resources and weaknesses, as proposed by the current trend of personalized medicine.

Anaesthesiology and Pain Management, Psychiatry and Psychology, Rheumatology

https://peerj.com/articles/2421/

Hutan, TiredSam and Valentijn like this.
  2. mango

mango Senior Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexithymia

Hutan, TiredSam and Valentijn like this.
  3. Helen

Helen Senior Member

BS

Edit: @mango , Thanks, it´s good to keep an eye on the worst "studies" too

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

You see, if you deny that you're severely emotionally distressed but confirm debilitating physical symptoms, it means that you're having problems distinguishing between emotions and physical symptoms. Now they can safely babble on.

Or maybe you're just somatizing emotional distress into physical symptoms and don't realise it because you're blind to emotions.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  5. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    :cautious:

TiredSam and mango like this.
  6. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

UK
    I'm gobsmacked such nonsense can be published. Self selecting sample, no control group, no attempt to distinguish between whether the traits measured are the cause or effect of the disease, no confirmation of diagnosis of CFS, ...
    :mad::mad::mad:

7. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    And if you report you actually are distressed, because you have severely disabling symptoms and cannot function, that means you have CFS because you're so easily distressed.

They win.

I bet you would find the same "personality flaws" if you question people who are on chemotherapy or have other disabling diseases.

8. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I mentioned the title to a patient whose response was "Did they take into account that this [referring to FM and cfs] is a formative experience that is likely to change the people who have these diseases? I thought not."....

9. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    I can't believe they recruited so many patients but didn't use a control group.

There is good evidence that personality traits change over time and are not fixed as was previously thought. If there had been a control group and we could see that the personality of people with ME differ from healthy people, then it could easily be an indicator that chronic sickness results in certain personality traits. I would be entirely unsurprised that one of these personality groups included 'Harm Avoidance'.

Unfortunately there was no control group, so the results are meaningless.

10. Tuha

Tuha Senior Member

Is there someone who control these psychiatrists? It´s not that they are totaly incompetent but they do a lot of harm and they are responsible for a big misery of many people. Imagine if we would have money for ME research instead of this nonsense. We live in a really strange world.

Solstice, Jan, erin and 1 other person like this.
  11. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

UK
    I notice they call this stuff an 'exploratory investigation'. I assume they've had it published so they can use this paper as the justification to seek funding for a bigger study. Shudder!!!

:aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh:

flybro likes this.
  12. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Maybe they should compare these traits pre-illness to what they find during-illness. I'll bet they get entirely different answers.

13. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

When your DXed with a physically crippling disease such as ME that has know treatment approved, miniscule funding and lack of clincical care....dont you think you would be a little upset.

These papers are just time and money thrown in the trash.

Did they read the IOM report or see the immacuation of severely ill patients? Its absolutely horrifying.

Webdog and trishrhymes like this.
  14. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Im interested in why 60% dropped out of this study, i wonder if it was due to finding the questions offensive. That would of really affected this terrible study too.

15. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Yes, because the people who decided to drop out would most likely share a certain personality trait. Moreover choosing to engage with a study like this in the first place would require certain personality traits.

Fortunately these shortcomings will be transparent to most.

Webdog likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.