• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abdominal spasm a POTs symptom?

JAH

Hello friends,

Has anyone with POTs ever had abdominal spasms as part of their symptoms? I have had a lot of weird problems over the past few weeks, but part of the OI symptoms I've had is abdominal spasming - in other words if I lay down flat or stand for a while my abdomen spasms and I get short of breath. Is this a POTs symptom? It does seem "postural", but activity or eating can also bring it on.

Thanks, JAH

anna8

Hi jah, I have abdominal spasms and sometimes in my stomach area under my ribs, it can feel like someone had punch me. It often happens when I am just about to fall to sleep and it wakes me up!
I'm not sure if I have pots but I'm having palpitations which are being investigated at the moment! I also get short of breath!
All part of a long list of symptoms unfortunately.

Anna x

JAH

Hi jah, I have abdominal spasms and sometimes in my stomach area under my ribs, it can feel like someone had punch me. It often happens when I am just about to fall to sleep and it wakes me up!
I'm not sure if I have pots but I'm having palpitations which are being investigated at the moment! I also get short of breath!

Anna x

Hi Anna,

I am also having breathing problems and high pulse. Basically if I move around, eat, I'll get spasm and breathing problems. I am definitely having severe POTs, am new to the POTs diagnosis, and was wondering if the spasms are ever a POTs symptom.

I would be fascinated to know if you figure out what is going on with you. Please post or PM me if you get a diagnosis, or treatment that helps you.

Thanks for posting, JAH

anna8

You do seem to have very similar symptom to me! I to have a high racing pulse which is why I have to have more tests in September, so I'll let you know what the results are.

Annax

xchocoholic

My gut will spasm after I eat typically within 15 minutes if I stay upright for too long. This makes
doing the dishes after a meal difficult and sometimes impossible.

Then after laying down it will happen again as a result of getting the blood flowing again.

I feel better after the spasm when supine but worse after the spasm when upright. I get a
petite mal and sob most of the time and feel best if I lay down. The feeling isn't as pronounced
after drinking a smoothie or juice but it still happens.

Dr peckerman did an interview on hypoperfusion and cfs. Just google his name and cfs to find
it. Googling hypoperfusion and hyperperfusion helped me understand this.

I'd think that most potsies would feel these. Tc ... X

xchocoholic

Anna x

This sounds like nocturnal myoclonous ( jerking when entering rem sleep). Mine was dx via a sleep disorder test and I
was prescribed Klonopin. Theanine helped me too but not as much as klonopin.

Avoiding caffeine and gluten help me but you may have different triggers. Gluten
and caffeine are common triggers tho from what I've read.

tc ... X

JAH

My gut will spasm after I eat typically within 15 minutes if I stay upright for too long. This makes
doing the dishes after a meal difficult and sometimes impossible.

Then after laying down it will happen again as a result of getting the blood flowing again.

I feel better after the spasm when supine but worse after the spasm when upright. I get a
petite mal and sob most of the time and feel best if I lay down. The feeling isn't as pronounced
after drinking a smoothie or juice but it still happens.

Dr peckerman did an interview on hypoperfusion and cfs. Just google his name and cfs to find
it. Googling hypoperfusion and hyperperfusion helped me understand this.

I'd think that most potsies would feel these. Tc ... X

How about the cough? Standing will bring on a spasm/cough, will go away after I sit or lie down.

xchocoholic

How about the cough? Standing will bring on a spasm/cough, will go away after I sit or lie down.

hi Jah,

i haven't noticed a cough but I'll look for it the next time i don't get
a petite mal when this happens. I get petite mal most of the time
tho.

My petite mals force me to lay or sit down quickly. My mind is blank except
for the urge to get off my feet.

I vaguely remember reading that coughing will alter either your bp
or heart rate. sorry but I'm drawing a blank on it.

tc ... x

JAH

"i haven't noticed a cough but I'll look for it the next time i don't get
a petite mal when this happens. "

Something for me to look forward to...any treatment help you?

xchocoholic

oh goodie. another symptom.

I've been disabled since 1990 and just became a health nut in 2005.
Healthy eating esp gf, has helped a lot of my symptoms but not my oi.

Salt loading, taking essential aminos and taking mast cell meds have
helped my oi at different times since becoming a health nut but
none of these miracles lasted for more than about 3 weeks.

I suspect that i waited too long after cfs onset to become a health nut.
I'm extremely intolerant of gluten. I had ataxia and white lesions on
my brain that went away via diet but I suspect other body parts
didn't fare as well. That's just me tho. Everyone is unique.

tc .. x