1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ABC radio - Comparison of treatments for CFS - PACE trial

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Daisymay, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I can't remember any specific references I'm afraid.

I see it as part of the general human problem of effectively measuring outcomes. The more important results of a particular measure are, the more likely is that this measure will be successfully gamed. If school test results are used to set teachers pay/school funding, then it's more likely that childrens education will be distorted in a way that leads to higher test scores, but problems in other areas. (I was reading a recent piece on Washington's school systems problems with this).

If those designing a CBT programme for depression know the sorts of questions that will be asked to asses the impact of their treamtnet, then they will inevitably focus their efforts upon changing the answers to these questions... but this can undermine the ability of these questionnaires to accurately measure what it is we think is truly important.

Sorry not to have any links to solid evidence or research. When I next stumble upon some I'll try to remember to post it here.
  2. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Discrepancies and disingenuousness sitting in a tree, P A C I N G.

It has been about 6 weeks, and Horton never replied, not that I'm surprised, I figured there would be a 50/50 chance. Something else also came to mind from the transcript from the ABC broadcast:

I take it this never happened, Hoopers "attack" and the "response to the attack" were never published in The Lancet? The "authors' reply" to the other letters seemed like more spin as well: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(11)60651-X/fulltext - A while ago Angela Kennedy tried to find a single word to summarise the PACE trial, and arrived at "discrepancies". Here's another word to describe the surrounding press releases and the authors' various replies to criticisms, "disingenuous", defined in my dictionary as "not straightforward or candid; giving a false appearance of frankness".
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Well done for trying anyway.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    What is the word for bait-and-switch?
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi, sending emails or whatever to an ABC talk host will not achieve much, no matter the argument. The ABC does however have a formal complaint procedure. Has anyone looked into that? Bye, Alex
  6. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

The old "switcharoo"? :)

I agree that emailing Swan would have been a waste. But the formal complaint procedure would probably be almost as futile. It would be funny to watch Swan getting grilled on ABC Media Watch though.

See more popular forum discussions.