1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ABC News: New Psych Disorder Could Mislabel Sick as Mentally ill

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Dx Revision Watch, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch dxrevisionwatch.com

UK
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/somatic-syndrome-disorder-mislabel-sick-mentally-ill/story?id=18606406

New Psych Disorder Could Mislabel Sick as Mentally Ill

By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES for ABC News
    Feb. 27, 2013

A couple of corrections.
    "Some patient groups, including Suzy Chapman, the mother of a son with fibromyalgia and an advocate for the Coalition for DSM-5 Reform in the United Kingdom, are up in arms."

My son has ME, not fibromyalgia. I am a UK advocate and run a website called "Dx Revision Watch" but I am not a spokesperson for the "Coalition for DSM-5 Reform" nor a member of that U.S. committee.
    Wayne, Jarod, merylg and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dx Revision Watch

UK
    Jarod, merylg and Roy S like this.
  3. Dx Revision Watch

UK
  4. Dx Revision Watch

UK
  5. Dx Revision Watch

UK
    Jarod, merylg and Roy S like this.
  6. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    GAlmighty - stop this Suzy - ah gee whiskers the ignorant psyches again who cou;d not differentiate their toes from the ground around - what is it this century as we are are much more aware of medicine and medical findings this lot can still have a presence. (WellI I know - fingertip exercise - very historic.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks Suzy.

From the ABC one:

It is what you make money from.

Highly treatable? As in 'treatments are highly effective' or 'we can make money from treating a high number of patients'?

A quick google for RCTs in this area turned up this recent one first, which seemed the usual unimpressive stuff. I've not read this closely, so maybe I shouldn't comment, as it could be that I've missed something which makes this study more worthwhile than it seems... but it does seem like yet another poorly controlled study which shows that encouraging 'care' leads to minor improvements in subjective questionnaire scores. If the same design and results was used by spiritual healers they'd be laughed out, but with the 'CBT' label it become evidence based medicine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3413637/

Minor improvements in questionnaire scores for the treatment group and "The control intervention was a waiting list." Also average scores went up over time, while those who reported more serious problems were less likely to complete follow up questionnaires.

Still, we know that the treatment was effective because the article is titled:
    Effective Group Training for Patients with Unexplained Physical Symptoms: A Randomized Controlled Trial with a Non-Randomized One-Year Follow-Up

Maybe that was a bit thoughtless and ranty considering I only skimmed through the paper. Poorly controlled trials which rely on questionnaires for outcomes just piss me off.

edit: Do slightly regret moving the thread off suzy's topic!
    Valentijn and merylg like this.
  8. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    What amazes me about these people is their capacity to hang on in there to fill any void ( like medicine/science still not fully understanding) - what an invatation for "grand schemes". - all pie in the sky mental of course.Sorry guys not me.
    merylg likes this.
  9. Dx Revision Watch

UK
    Commentary in BMJ, today, by Allen Frances and Suzy Chapman specific to implications for all illness groups for DSM-5's Somatic Symptom Disorder.

Access to full article and PDF is free:

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f1580

Views & Reviews
    Personal View

The new somatic symptom disorder in DSM-5 risks mislabeling many people as mentally ill

This new condition suggested in the bible of mental health diagnoses lacks specificity, says Allen Frances

The fuzzy boundary between psychiatry and general medicine is about to experience a seismic shift. The next edition of the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is scheduled for release this May amid controversy about many of its new disorders. Among these, DSM-5 introduces a poorly tested diagnosis—somatic symptom disorder—which risks mislabeling a sizeable proportion of the population as mentally ill...

Full article in text and PDF format here
    ------------------------

The media release will be available here, today:

http://group.bmj.com/group/media/latest-news

On Monday, BMJ press office put out a media release for this article to 3000 journalists. This article by Allen Frances, MD, professor emeritus, Duke, who had chaired the Task Force for DSM-IV, and Suzy Chapman, Dx Revision Watch will be competing this week for media interest with the launch, today, of another international "Statement of Concern" around DSM-5. There will be some additional coverage of the SSD issue as a result of the press release but please circulate the BMJ links far and wide, on websites, blogs and social media and please mention concerns for the SSD dx when commenting on other DSM-5 related media coverage.

Two more commentaries specific to the SSD category are In Press with two psychiatry journals and anticipated to publish in May-June.
    biophile and Sean like this.
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks Suzy. There's already a response up from Michael Sharpe, Joel Dimsdale and Francis Creed.
  11. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    Wow. I skimmed those, but looks like some great commentary. If people are paying attention and sharing these articles with others, it could really help our cause.
  12. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I hope those psychs pushing this bullcrap become the laughing stock of the medical profession.
  13. Dx Revision Watch

UK
    (Free registration required for access)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/781189
    Medscape Medical News > Psychiatry
    DSM-5 Somatic Symptom Disorder Debate Rages On

Deborah Brauser
    Mar 21, 2013
    The inclusion of the new somatic symptom disorder category in the soon-to-be-released Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) continues to spark heated debate in the field of psychiatry.

In a "Personal View" published online March 19 in BMJ, Allen Frances, MD, writes that the new disorder could result in "inappropriate diagnoses of mental disorder and inappropriate medical decision making" and urged clinicians to ignore the category completely...
    Jarod likes this.
  14. Dx Revision Watch

UK
  15. Dx Revision Watch

UK
    Report on both recently launched "Statement of Concern" and the Allen Frances/Suzy Chapman BMJ commentary:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/mental-health/article3717853.ece

The Times Mental Health

Psychologists to fight new list of mental illnesses
    Millions of people risk being labelled as mentally ill under new classifications that have prompted calls for a boycott by psychologists.
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  16. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    Thanks for this links. I sent my politician one on the DSM 5 before and got a "personalized" response. I'll try to see if I can get their attention again. :)
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks Suzy. I see Edward Shorter has now commented as well.

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f1580?tab=responses

Some were still being 'brave' with unfounded claims after that:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-more-morality-and-philosophy-than-cfs.13045/
    taniaaust1 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.