• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AARDA Applauds the New Yorker's Meghan O'Rourke for Indepth Article on Autoimmunity

Ember

Released: 8/23/2013 11:00 AM EDT
Newswise — The American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association (AARDA) congratulates The New Yorker magazine and its contributing writer Meghan O’Rourke for her first-person account of the daily struggle living with autoimmune disease (AD) and showcasing autoimmunity as a major U.S. health issue.

“Will I Ever Get Better? Meghan O’Rourke on the Autoimmune Epidemic” is featured in the August 26, 2013 issue of The New Yorker.

“Given the cold, hard facts we at AARDA know about the pervasiveness of autoimmune disease – 50 million Americans are afflicted, more than 100 diseases, one of the top 10 leading causes of death of women under 65 and responsible for more than $100 billion dollars in direct health care costs – Ms. O’Rourke’s personal story eloquently captures the frustration, anxiety and confusion of first getting an autoimmune diagnosis and then the realities of living on a daily basis with a chronic illness with no cure and few treatment options,” said Virginia Ladd, executive director, AARDA.

Unfortunately, according to Ladd, O’Rourke’s experience is a familiar one for many autoimmune disease patients. The article highlights one of AARDA’s main priorities which is to establish diagnostic, treatment and research autoimmune centers, like the one currently in Israel, where a single doctor would coordinate and oversee a patient’s care, similar to a cancer center....
More: http://www.newswise.com/articles/aa...-o-rourke-for-indepth-article-on-autoimmunity

See also -- “What's Wrong with Me?” by Meghan O'Rourke and “What's the Matter with Meghan?” by Mindy Kitei:
"It appears that Meghan O'Rourke may have ME, but The New Yorker writer doesn't know it."

Ember

What’s Wrong With ME? Autoimmunity, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Diet: One Person’s Story

By Cort Johnson on September 1, 2013
We are not alone. Meghan’s and Lauren Stiles’s story (earlier) indicate that many people with chronic illnesses are grappling with the same unsure diagnoses, the disease overlaps, the old disease boundaries that often obscure, and the lack of good treatment options. We’re like separate communities, mostly unaware of each other, circling around the same concerns....