1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

AABB "actively discourages" CFS blood donation in USA!!!

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by V99, Jun 18, 2010.

1. V99

V99 *****

UK
    http://www.aabb.org/pressroom/Pages/cfsrecommendation.aspx

2. V99

V99 *****

UK
    http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-cfids-association-of-america/cfids-assn-commends-aabb-for-todays-action/442217155538

3. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    Fantastic!
  4. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    Woo hoo!!! My hope it that this prompts primary care doctors to have new questions/interest/understanding of ME/CFS.
  5. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Finally! So this is our Friday afternoon announcement this month eh?
  6. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    Wow - thank God for great news today, let's hope this brings much need attention to CFS!

My husband will probably give blood in the next couple months - he will notice if any new questions are asked - I'll report back. :victory:
  7. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Someone has alerted me that this is not a ban, but a recommendation not to donate. Sorry for the mix up.

8. Rivotril

Rivotril Senior Member

but what is "actively discourage"?
    its not a ban, but it's at least more than just a recommendation, like saying "please do not donate blood if you feel ill", because it implicates some activity by AABB to protect blood supply instead of just passively giving some advice.
  9. V99

V99 *****

UK
    This is what confused me, what are they playing at. Do they think this is some game?
  10. julius

Canada
    Yeah, regardless of whether it's a ban or recommendation, it's good for us.

And it points in very positive directions also.
  11. jimbob

jimbob ME/CFS84-XMRV+

myrtle beach, s.c.
    it's a small win, but it is a win I guess. I would like to see something a little bigger come down the pike!!!
  12. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Can someone change the title of the thread please.
  13. Lesley

Lesley Senior Member

Southeastern US
    I believe that this means that they do not have the power to ban people without federal regulations to that effect. They are taking the strongest action they can on their own.
  14. julius

Canada
    Nice catch! So that answers that question.

But what about the Friday afternoon release?
  15. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    AABB Discourages Blood Collection Groups from Taking CFS Patients Blood

http://www.aboutmecfs.org/Rsrch/XMRVBuzz.aspx

The AABB (American Association of Blood Banks) recommended today that CFS patients be discouraged from giving blood. This was expected given that a few days ago, Dr. Katz an executive vice president of the group, personally recommended that CFS patients not give blood. The AABB did not state that CFS patients not be allowed to give blood; that is apparently in the hands of the FDA, but they recommended that blood collecting organizations provide a poster and a handout that aggressively discourages people with CFS from giving blood. (The AABB is not a small group; their membership includes 2,000 organizations spread across 80 countries. Creating and distributing the materials to all the blood collection centers will obviously cost a nice chunk of money)

The Whittemore Peterson Institute, the CFSAC and the CFIDS Association of America all recommended recommended that CFS patients be not allowed to give blood. (Dr. Klimas has noted that CFS patients with their low blood volumes shouldn't give blood anyway :)). A survey by the CFIDS Association indicating that at least 6% of people with CFS had donated since they became ill, undoubtedly helped AABB recognize the Blood Banks had a real problem. This move by the AABB brings the US a least partly into sync with other moves by Australia, New Zealand and Canada to eliminate the risk of cotaminating the blood supply with XMRV until more is definitively known about its incidence in CFS.

More Info: http://www.cfids.org/xmrv/aabb-statement-june10.asp
  16. V99

V99 *****

UK
  17. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I moved the thread to the Media Section because it was a press release - it looks OK now.

I guess the US is just very conservative - altho not nearly as conservative as the UK :) (or Germany or Spain or France, etc. )
  18. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Is this the first time the AABB have actively discouraged donation?
  19. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Yea, just to remind everyone, in the UK the Health Secretary said, "People with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), are not able to donate blood until they have fully recovered. " 10th March 2010
  20. Forbin

Forbin Forbin

Seems like an update of Wikipedia (on XMRV and CFS/ME) should be in order...

[Update: Looks like someone already did it for the CFS page!]

See more popular forum discussions.