1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A wireless body measurement system to study fatigue in multiple sclerosis

Discussion in 'Multiple Sclerosis' started by Dolphin, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Objective ways to study fatigue would be good. This is a new study on fatigue in MS.

(I gave each sentence its own paragraph)
    Firestormm likes this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Interesting study, though it would be nice to see how the severity of self-reported fatigue correlates with the physiological parameters.
    Firestormm likes this.
  3. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Objectively measuring fatigue is a fine goal but I can't see how this does so: measuring heart & muscle activity, skin temp and feet movement looks like it's better suited to recording activity than fatigue. Being able to distinguish between fatigued MS patients and healthy controls doesn't necessarily show anything about about acurately measuring fatigue: fatigued vs non-fatigued MS patients with similar levels of disability would be more informative.

As SL says, comparing with self-reported fatigue would be very interesting.

I liked this approach to measuring fatigue, which takes multiple measures across a day and compares with activity (from actometers). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2904590/ . It still depends on self-report but removes recall issues by timely measurement - and compares fatigue relative to activity so is likely to produce more reliable data.
    Firestormm likes this.
  4. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    I am rather reluctant to say this, but, what is to say that someone with MS or ME or even a control is putting the same effort into the period under study? Maybe I am misunderstanding, but unless a correlation is recorded between a physiological response and the lack of ability to 'move' then where is the objectivity? I'd appreciate some insight here chaps. Bit muddled. Thanks.

See more popular forum discussions.