• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A very moving movie about the early days of AIDS at San-Francisco

omerbasket

On thursday I watched a ducumentary called "We Were Here". It's about the HIV epidemic, mostly in the 80's, at San-Francisco, among gay men. It contains the story of 5 people - 4 of them are gay men who had wittnessed the epidemic from close because their friends and their lovers, and sometimes even themselves, became infected with HIV. They experienced many deaths of a loved one. The fifth is a woman who was a nurse and assisted the sick-ones from close, in a period in history were many didn't want to get anywhere near an AIDS patient.

This movie is VERY moving. At some parts of it I almost cried. I had tears in my eyes. In fact, I have to say that it made me pretty much depressed. I don't know if it was a good idea for me to watch that movie. But I still write to you about it, in part because I think everyone should decide for himself whether to watch it or not.

Here is the link to the only website in which I found the movie online (it's a website in Hebrew, but the film is in English. I hope it works outside of Israel):
http://yes.walla.co.il/?w=2/7827/1831622

I think that among the numerous touching parts in that movie, the most moving part for me was the part that's between minutes 21:36 and 23:20. What they talk about in that part is not relevant to what was moving for me. What was moving for me was the video: You can see a young and hansome guy there, in the orange shirt... And he is being checked by the doctor. And though he does not look very sick (though I don't know if he was sick or not, and to what degree he was sick if he was), he looks absolutely desperate. His boyfriend tries to console him, shows him his affection, but that guy looks like he knows that soon he will be gone. And he did, at the age of 22.
You sometimes imagine to yourself those hero people who knows that they are going to die but they don't really care, they are strong for everyone else. But what's bringing tears to my eyes as I write this is those videos of that guy, who looks so so sad knowing that he is going to die. He wants to live many more years, but he knows that he is about to die. It's making him so sad. It's making me so sad, today - about 25 years after he died, and I didn't even know him. But it's the situation, the helplesness of you, and as important of your loved ones, that I can relate to. It's stronger than anything.

In the movie you can see that the name of that 22-year-old guy is Todd Coleman. I searched his name and found out that there was a documentary done about him, called "Living With AIDS" (1987). It describes the last weeks of his life. I couldn't find a link to watch this movie online. I even didn't find it in Emule. So, for now, I wasn't able to watch it. But I guess that the videos of Todd that are in the movie "We Were Here" were probably taken from that documentary, "Living With AIDS". Here is a discription of that movie:
http://www.pbs.org/pov/livingwithaids/film_description.php

If any of you would find a way to watch it, I'll be glad if you would tell us how. I mean, it would probably make me even more sad and depressed, but at the same time I feel that I must watch it.

ukxmrv

I can't get it to run from here (the UK) but having looked at your link about the movie I think I remember it from the time - either that or just the one about Todd. Could be wrong through so I'll keep looking for a copy that I can view.

Hope you are OK Omer, and not too sad and depressed now.

((OMER))

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
I heard the release of this film "We Were Here" http://www.kqed.org/a/forum/R201101181031 covered by my local public radio station, which is the San Francisco PBS station. I have not seen the actual film, though. Have you seen the film "Philadelphia", Omer? I heard Tom Hanks discussing it years later and how many of the people in the film actually had AIDS and he knew they had later died. What you said reminded me of that. I have no idea how one can view that original POV film "Living With Aids."

omerbasket

Actually I don't think I saw"Philadelphia", but now you got me curious, so I'll try to find how I can see it. Thanks! :)