Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A vaccine against the deadly Ebola virus has led to 100% protection

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Ebola vaccine is 'potential game-changer'
    BBC News
    31st July 2015
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33733711

"A vaccine against the deadly Ebola virus has led to 100% protection and could transform the way Ebola is tackled, preliminary results suggest."

2. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @Bob - wow - that's great news! (the medical powers-that-be can move fast when they want to ....)

lycaena, ahmo, Sushi and 3 others like this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::trophy::rocket::star:

ahmo, Mary and Bob like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I just hope they can move fast when good treatments for ME start being scientifically vaiidated.

Stopping Ebola could save millions. For those in Ebola zones this could be fantastic. I do hope they properly safety test it before rolling it out across Africa though.

Mary and Bob like this.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

So why on Earth isn't someone considering creating a coxsackievirus B / echovirus vaccine, that would stand a very good chance of preventing most cases of ME/CFS, apart from those triggered by EBV, and a few rarer ME/CFS-associated pathogens.

Or is only death considered serious, but a lifetime wasted to ME/CFS is just considered medically trivial, not worth bothering about. There's only 17 million of us ME/CFS patients worldwide, languishing in miserable limbo, so I guess they think it's not worth developing a vaccine for us.

Though even if medical authorities only consider death as serious enough to pull their fingers out and get on with it, in the following thread I calculated that coxsackievirus B is probably killing 36,000 people per year in the US alone, by precipitating sudden heart attacks, likely due to coxsackievirus B heart infection:

Coxsackievirus B vaccine appears feasible, and might conceivably abolish ME/CFS in future

I actually had experience of such virally-induced heart attacks: as the enterovirus which triggered my ME/CFS spread to friends, family and acquaintances, it precipitated sudden heart attacks in three previously very healthy people. One of them died, another had viral myocarditis for many months after.

It amazes me sometimes how slow medical science is in putting two and two together when it comes to apparent infectious pathogenic causes of death and disease.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Mary likes this.
  6. adreno

adreno PR activist

That's probably how they intend to safety test it.

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Sadly that has been the issue with seasonal vaccines, and to some extent with many other vaccines.

8. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

Sad, but true.

9. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

alex3619 said:

natasa778 and adreno like this.

See more popular forum discussions.