1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A Tribute To Rich Van Konynenburg

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Sep 26, 2012.

1. lef07003

lef07003

I know this is late. I wrote directly to Rich's wife early on as she responded to an email I sent to Rich with the terrible news. I have been browsing these boards for quite some time from a distance and decided to reach out to Rich directly via email because I was so interested in his research and protocol. I was always impressed on his involvement on the boards and his determination to help people.I was completely blown away by Rich's swift response. I wrote an email sort of figuring I would never hear back as I was sure he was receiving thousands of emails all the time. He was so kind and sent me all his material to share with my doctor and to pursue the pathway panel testing. I wrote to ask him a question about the protocol a couple of weeks when I got the awful news. I was so shocked, my heart fell into my chest. I have vowed that as a tribute I would pursue the pathway test as well as try Rich's protocol and will share my progress with others. I want to help with his research and I figured that was a way I could contribute. I I truly hope Rich's hard work will be carried on and studied and published one day! Thank you Rich for everything. You touched many many lives.
    Wayne likes this.
  2. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

Please forward widely

All are invited to the

ME/CFS, Lyme and MCS community's

Memorial Service

for

Rich Van Konynenburg

on

November 18, 2012

== What When Where ==

WHAT: Memorial Service for Rich Van Konynenburg, researcher and leader in the ME/CFS, Lyme and MCS communities.

WHEN: Sunday, November 18, 2012. At 2 pm EST USA; 11 am PST USA; 7 pm London/GMT. We'll end the memorial after everyone who wants to share has had a chance.

WHO: Especially welcome are those from the ME/CFS, Lyme and MCS communities. However, this is also open to anyone anywhere who wants to join us in remembering and honoring Rich.

WHERE: This memorial service will be held as a telephone conference call. Call in using a landline telephone, mobile phone or computer phone. So even if you are bedridden in California, the UK, Australia or anywhere, you should be able to join us if you can use a phone to call the USA.

HOW: The conference call dial-in phone number is: 805-399-1000. When prompted, key in the Participant Access Code: 997436#. The call will cost the normal fees associated with a long distance phone call to the USA, and no more.

INTERNATIONAL CALLERS: Consider using an international calling card. Or if you have Skype, go to your Skype account and click on "Call phones" and it will allow you to pay for the call. If you do not have Skype, you can download a free account at Skype.com. There, read how to buy Skype credit for making outgoing calls (that you would pay for). Or read how to buy Skype "Pay As You Go" minutes. Do all this prior to the day of the memorial service. After you select one of these options, on the day of the memorial service you will dial in to the conference call by using the same phone number (805-399-1000) and the same Participant Access Code (997436#) as listed above. NOTE: Calling from your mobile phone to join the USA conference call may be much more expensive for international Skype users than calling from a landline phone. Plan accordingly.

PLEASE SHARE: On the call, you will have an opportunity to "raise your hand" to indicate you wish to speak. Please keep your sharing to under two minutes, so all who wish to share can do so.

RSVP: There is no need to tell us you are attending, just come!

QUESTIONS: Contact Rivka(at)ThatTakesOvaries(dot)org

== Details ==

On Sunday, November 18, 2012, please join members of the ME/CFS, Lyme and MCS communities in saying "Thank you; We love you; Goodbye," to our beloved community leader, Rich Van Konynenburg.

We will be joined by Rich's wife, Diana; Dr. Neil Nathan, who worked with Rich on his Simplified Methylation Protocol; and Dr. Derek Enlander, who has known Rich for over a decade -- as have many of us.

Together, as a community, we will gather to grieve, mourn and begin to heal from this deeply felt loss. And the loss is substantial. Rich was a well-known community leader, a man who posted thousands of health and research related messages on the various ME/CFS, Lyme and MCS forums and listservs -- all about trying to help us, to alleviate our suffering, to make our lives better.

Rich was the most accessible researcher we ever had, unfailingly answering our thousands of questions and concerns, not just because this was an intriguing scientific puzzle but because he cared about us. His wife Diana recently described how his large office overflows with papers, spilling out into the next room. Many of those stacks of papers are our test results that he tirelessly analyzed for us, without asking for anything in return, just so he could help us understand complicated situations and decide complex next steps in recovering our health. Diana describes how Rich would come to the dinner table at night and talk about his research discoveries and understandings, and how he'd be so happy when he could make our lives a bit better -- and how he'd be deeply sad when he witnessed our suffering. He would weep when we wept, he would rejoice when he could help us. And there are many people he did help, both through his scientific analysis and his compassion.

Join us at this memorial service to tell us what Rich meant to you. Share your memories and personal stories of Rich, and read excerpts from emails/posts he sent you. This small act of sharing will help all of us grieve our loss and allow the healing to begin.

For questions, please email: Rivka(at)ThatTakesOvaries(dot)org
  3. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

sorry that the above announcement did not hold its original format. -- rivka
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    RivkaRivka,

Thanks so much for organizing this. I know it is a complicated thing to get off the ground.

We really appreciate it!

Sushi
  5. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    I was saddened to hear this news. I have much appreciated his time and attention.
  6. Mog

Mog

UK
    I've just heard. I'm so very, very sorry. He helpfully replied to some of my queries on the forum, when I wasn't expecting him to, and as someone above said, he was such a helpful and comforting presence on the forums. His information did give you hope that something could be done, that a way could be found through this hideous maze of problems. And he was so generous with his time and knowledge. What a terrible loss...
  7. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    Oh no. I just found out. My deepest condolences to his family also. I am so sorry for your loss. Rich was always so willing to be helpful to us. It was so different from the way we are usually treated by anyone who should be knowledgeable about what is going on with us. I am sad he is gone.
  8. drex13

drex13 Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio
    I haven't been on the PR site for a few months now, and was absolutely stunned when I logged on today, to see that Rich had passed away. I have exchanged emails and information with Rich a few times over the last couple of years. Rich was always gracious and went out of his way to help those of us who sought him out. My deepest condolences to the Van Konyenburg family. Rich will be sorely missed by all.
  9. icalla

icalla

I am yet another person who was touched by Rich - what a tremendous loss to the community. He was a great man, personally and professionally. I give thanks for his work daily, and wish his family and those who loved him peace and strength.
  10. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

Please forward widely
    All are invited to the
    ME/CFS, Lyme and MCS community’s
    Memorial Service
    for
    Rich Van Konynenburg
    on
    November 18, 2012

== What When Where ==

WHAT: Memorial Service for Rich Van Konynenburg, researcher and leader in the ME/CFS, Lyme and MCS communities.

WHEN: Sunday, November 18, 2012. At 2 pm EST USA; 11 am PST USA; 7 pm London/GMT. We’ll end the memorial after everyone who wants to share has had a chance.

WHO: Especially welcome are those from the ME/CFS, Lyme and MCS communities. However, this is also open to anyone anywhere who wants to join us in remembering and honoring Rich.

WHERE: This memorial service will be held as a telephone conference call. Call in using a landline telephone, mobile phone or computer phone. So even if you are bedridden in California, the UK, Australia or anywhere, you should be able to join us if you can use a phone to call the USA.

HOW: The conference call dial-in phone number is: 805-399-1000. When prompted, key in the Participant Access Code: 997436#. The call will cost the normal fees associated with a long distance phone call to the USA, and no more.

INTERNATIONAL CALLERS: Consider using an international calling card. Or if you have Skype, go to your Skype account and click on "Call phones" and it will allow you to pay for the call. If you do not have Skype, you can download a free account at Skype.com. There, read how to buy Skype credit for making outgoing calls (that you would pay for). Or read how to buy Skype "Pay As You Go" minutes. Do all this prior to the day of the memorial service. After you select one of these options, on the day of the memorial service you will dial in to the conference call by using the same phone number (805-399-1000) and the same Participant Access Code (997436#) as listed above. NOTE: Calling from your mobile phone to join the USA conference call may be much more expensive for international Skype users than calling from a landline phone. Plan accordingly.

PLEASE SHARE: On the call, you will have an opportunity to "raise your hand" to indicate you wish to speak. Please keep your sharing to under two minutes, so all who wish to share can do so.

RSVP: There is no need to tell us you are attending, just come!

QUESTIONS: Contact Rivka(at)ThatTakesOvaries(dot)org

== Details ==

On Sunday, November 18, 2012, please join members of the ME/CFS, Lyme and MCS communities in saying "Thank you; We love you; Goodbye," to our beloved community leader, Rich Van Konynenburg.

We will be joined by Rich’s wife, Diana; Dr. Neil Nathan, who worked with Rich on his Simplified Methylation Protocol; and Dr. Derek Enlander, who has known Rich for over a decade — as have many of us.

Together, as a community, we will gather to grieve, mourn and begin to heal from this deeply felt loss. And the loss is substantial. Rich was a well-known community leader, a man who posted thousands of health and research related messages on the various ME/CFS, Lyme and MCS forums and listservs — all about trying to help us, to alleviate our suffering, to make our lives better.

Rich was the most accessible researcher we ever had, unfailingly answering our thousands of questions and concerns, not just because this was an intriguing scientific puzzle but because he cared about us. His wife Diana recently described how his large office overflows with papers, spilling out into the next room. Many of those stacks of papers are our test results that he tirelessly analyzed for us, without asking for anything in return, just so he could help us understand complicated situations and decide complex next steps in recovering our health. Diana describes how Rich would come to the dinner table at night and talk about his research discoveries and understandings, and how he’d be so happy when he could make our lives a bit better — and how he’d be deeply sad when he witnessed our suffering. He would weep when we wept, he would rejoice when he could help us. And there are many people he did help, both through his scientific analysis and his compassion.

Join us at this memorial service to tell us what Rich meant to you. Share your memories and personal stories of Rich, and read excerpts from emails/posts he sent you. This small act of sharing will help all of us grieve our loss and allow the healing to begin.

For questions, please email: Rivka(at)ThatTakesOvaries(dot)org
  11. Tara

Tara

Wausau, WI
    My sincere sympathy go out to Rich's family and friends, along with my own heartfelt sadness to hear of Rich's passing. As many of us in this community have felt, Rich was an incredibly generous and caring soul, and I have him to personally thank for suggesting I give the Cutler protocol a go this past July. I started chelation in August, and I am finally hopeful in the healing and recovery I am experiencing. I owe Rich more than these words can express. I am so incredibly grateful. Rich's work in this world has been a success; he has done his duty with a willing heart, and I pray he is now in peace and at rest, basking in the fruits of his labor. Thank you, Rich!
  12. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I think I must have joined Phoenix Rising right after Rich's passing, but since then I've read literally hundreds of his posts so I feel almost as if I knew him. I stumbled across one of Rich's more recent posts (mid 2012) where he outlines his current assessment and outlook on CFS/ME. I found it fascinating and thought some other people would like to read it too:
    merylg, Jarod and Sushi like this.
  13. bel canto

bel canto Senior Member

What a great loss for all of us - not only of a wonderful friend, but someone who devoted so much of his time and energy and prodigious intellect to our quest for understanding and treating this disease. His humanity and compassion were unmatched by anyone I've ever personally known.

Thank you, Lotus, for posting this.

I can hear his voice, see his smile, and miss him so very much. Thank you, Rich.
    ukxmrv likes this.
  14. topghetto

topghetto

London
    It is unfortunate that this world has lost a very, very great human being. I believe I owe him so much. I just wish that I could of met him so I could thank him from the bottom of my heart. No doubt, that he will always be in my prayers. Rest in peace, Dr. Rich Van Konynenburg.
    Little Bluestem, leela and ggingues like this.

See more popular forum discussions.