The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A supportive view of Wallit from CortJohnson.org

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by ScottTriGuy, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
  2. geraldt52

geraldt52 Senior Member

What a shock. Not. If Cort can paint Elizabeth Unger and Suzanne Vernon as having done great work for us, I can't see why he wouldn't be happy with Wallit.

RustyJ and duncan like this.
  3. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Stunning spin.

RustyJ likes this.
  4. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

So basically Dr. Wallit has a split personality. His research says one thing, but in person he says another thing, but we should just believe his research.

Sorry, but no. The video interview tells us everything we need to know about his beliefs. He clearly acts on these beliefs, it is his desire to "rewrite the narrative", and he does so by giving talks to practicing clinicians telling them it is OK to ignore fibromyalgia patients symptoms and to stop medicalizing it. If what this guy is telling clinicians is different than what his research shows, then that is a huge ethical breach.

Kyla, Mel9, Invisible Woman and 10 others like this.
  5. waiting

waiting Senior Member

Yes, but see in the Comments section Cort's response to my query about how the 2-day CPET results fit in with Wallit's theory.

*GG* likes this.
  6. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

I just want to here his views at this point....

The cats out of the bag...he is biased based on his work

Now if he believes differently or not at this point, its either time for him to resign from the study or explain his current views on the illness.

We deserve answers from the NIH...

justy, ukxmrv and *GG* like this.
  7. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

After reading Cort's post, I'm even more confused. But, I appreciated the link, @ScottTriGuy . Thanks for bringing attention to this differing opinion. I hope Cort is correct on this one.

Mel9 and ScottTriGuy like this.
  8. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Cort has always had a predilection for woo woo science. There have been many articles posted by Cort subscribing the cures for ME/CFS through a number of alternative medicine practices that are borderline quackery to overcome ME/CFS. I would not pay much attention to his analysis with regards to Wallit. He is most definitely a bedfellow of his theories and conclusions.

TigerLilea, Kyla, ukxmrv and 6 others like this.
  9. JayS

JayS Senior Member

"Walitt does characterize ME/CFS and FM as psychosomatic disorders but he does not believe they are psychological illness..."

10. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I don't think Cort is very good at reading research. And definitely has a history of giving (too much) credence to quackery and pseudoscience.

11. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I stopped reading Cort's website ages ago. Tabloid interpretation of research papers and way too much tolerance of quackery.

12. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    x2.

Anguished, furious, rampant speculation, harrassment, vexatious, militant, blah blah blah. I just ignore the name-calling now.

I live in a western society. I do not believe health is a god given right. I know that sickness is part of being human. I am human. Therefore I'm as likely to get M.E. as anyone else. I don't ask "why me?", because why not me?

I get all that. I don't need Wallit, Cort, or "Buddhism" to explain it to me, and the assumption that I do is patronising. AFAIK it is not the purpose of the NIH study to preach inner wisdom and correct the erroneous western thinking of M.E. patients, but to do science.

Can't be bothered wading through the rest of that drivel, I have enough difficulties being human already (not that I'm complaining or think that I should be exempt) without adding to them by allowing such nonsense to take up too much of my time.

Woolie, LiveAgain, justy and 21 others like this.
  13. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

if you watch the interview it's clear that what Wallit is doing is not real science. Wallit is way to vague.

Either he does not know or understand the mechanisms or he does not want us to know.

Strangely a lot of people fall for it.

and he recommends not treating them, based on his "philosophy".

they are normal ordinary experience.

This is a new trend in medicine, maybe because conversion disorder is so controversial: You are not mentally ill your symptoms are normal, everyone has them.

https://www.lymedisease.org/lymepol...hes-and-pains-of-daily-living-is-this-true-2/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Woolie, justy, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  14. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

I just dont umderstand why they have it out for us FM and CFS/ME folks whats there problem? We could be their husband, wife, child, aunt, uncle, etc. That is sick help us legistimize this illness that the powers to be have covered up for years.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  15. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

If this is the case, why did the experience of living in my body (and brain), post-infection, feel so different, so quickly, that it seemed my consciousness had been transplanted into an alien life form?

Jennifer J, Sean, Cheshire and 3 others like this.
  16. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    This interview of Tom Hennessey by Cort explains the situation quite clearly. It is just as timely today as when it was first published.

Any questions?

justy, Sean, RustyJ and 4 others like this.
  17. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

Years ago, when there were monthly support meetings in my city, the issue of disability insurance was raised. I remember being told of an insurance industry study that determined less than one percent of disability claims were fraudulent. Despite this, one of the largest disability insurers in the U.S. sent a letter to every single recipient they had, advising that a review had determined they were "fit for work", and their payments were being discontinued. This was done despite the fact some of the recipients were in a coma, or on life-support in extended care facilities, etc. The insurance company knew that only a certain percentage would appeal the decision. It was a conscious plan to become more profitable by removing individuals with no chance of recovery from their books.

Sean and jimells like this.
  18. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    I think we also live in a culture that is repulsed by the notion of laziness and not pushing forward against any obstacles such as a chronic illness. Just think of how most friends/family members/coworkers treat us: "Are you taking vitamin xxx, are you exercising, are you getting enough rest, are you meditating, have you given up gluten/sugar/meat, etc.?"

It comes down to lay persons and doctors thinking that if ME/CFS sufferers would just change their behavior, we would be cured, or at least improved.

ahmo, Woolie, justy and 11 others like this.
  19. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

Here's my most memorable comment from a "friend" -- only one of several overt insults during an evening
    spent in his home: "Maybe by the time you're 50 years old you'll come up with something that tickles your fancy and start doing something with your life".

Woolie, Sidereal, Jennifer J and 5 others like this.
  20. Riley

Riley Senior Member

Louisiana
    Sometimes I feel lucky that I have to use a wheelchair. I'm a young guy, so I think it makes people slightly uncomfortable. As a result, people are really nice to me and will go out of their way to help (especially strangers).

People don't really question that I am ill. You have to be a real dick to tell someone in a wheelchair that they don't need it.

Not that I don't still have friction with certain close relatives and friends that knew me before I was sick, but I know some things they say are just out of frustration with the situation.

Woolie, Mel9, justy and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.