1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A Scientist Catches a Mosquito-Borne Virus and Gives It to Wife as STD

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by charityfundraiser, Apr 12, 2011.

1. charityfundraiser

charityfundraiser Senior Member

2. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
  3. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    The headlines may be sensationalized, but it's still and interesting report. It's simply a case study, and a fairly well documented one. It doesn't say that the disease was sexually transmitted, however it does postulate that that's one likely explanation of the facts of the case. Case studies aren't offered at proof, they're more a way of saying "Hey, this is something that happened and should be investigated." Especially since it also offers a possible explanation of the epidemiology of the outbreak on Yap.

With the spread of West Nile Virus, it would be good to know if flaviviruses can be spread outside of their mosquito vectors.

I thought Dr Racaniello's comparison to the WPI study was a bit gratuitous. I suppose he was looking for a case where the press reports outstripped the science, but it gets old being everyone's favorite target. There are gobs of other examples, many of them more egregious, why not pick on them for a change? It becomes a less-than-subtle way of discrediting the original study, like a whisper campaign.

See more popular forum discussions.