• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A response to Professor Esther Crawley’s broadcast on BBC Radio Bristol

trishrhymes

Brilliant paper. Spells out in chilling detail the awful danger and waste of money that is EC and her FITNET fiasco.

Hard to read as an ME sufferer because it lays out loads of stuff that's going horribly wrong in our bodies which I find scary reading all at once. Makes me wish it was just de-conditioning and I could exerclse my way to health.:ill:

Seriously though, how can we make use of this?

No government body is going to even look at it. It would need full referencing for all the biomedical studies it draws on, and I think most of them were quite small, so will be dismissed in EC's chilling way as not sufficient evidence.

We can all read and agree with it. It's so well put together and clear to us, because we know the full story. Who else will see it?

Esther12

I find that sometimes Margaret William's writing can stretch things in a way that means that some of the claims she makes aren't as exciting as she makes them sound.

eg in that piece, this 'condemnation' of GET:

another arm
of the same NHS (NHS Plus, a Government-funded project) has condemned graded exercise
as it may cause (quote): “significant deterioration” (see below).

It's not much of a condemnation really:

The NHS Plus Guidance leaflets now say: “Although
some RCTs show evidence of improved functional capacity for work, and reduced fatigue,
some patients experience a significant deterioration in symptoms with this intervention”.

I do find useful and interesting things in what she's written, but when so many patients are so rightly angry about these thing I worry that any sort of exaggeration can end up blowing up in our faces. IMO things are bad enough that we can safely downplay the problems we face and it will still sound terrible!

Woolie

Margaret Williams paper said:
Of importance is that by promising even a two-thirds recovery in her FITNET trial, Crawley is
in breach of the General Medical Council Regulations as set out in “Good Medical Practice”:
“You must not make unjustifiable claims about the quality or outcomes of your services in
any information you provide to patients. It must not offer guarantees of cures”.
I must not tell lies!
Dolores_Jane_Umbridge.jpg