Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blinded Trial of Duloxetine

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by MikeJackmin, Feb 11, 2015.

1. MikeJackmin

MikeJackmin Senior Member

A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blinded Trial of Duloxetine in the Treatment of General Fatigue in Patients With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Arnold LM1, Blom TJ2, Welge JA2, Mariutto E3, Heller A3.

RESULTS:
    The improvement in the Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory general fatigue scores for the duloxetine group was not significantly greater than for the placebo group (P = 0.23; estimated difference between groups at week 12 = -1.0 [95% CI: -2.8, 0.7]). The duloxetine group was significantly superior to the placebo group on the Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory mental fatigue score, Brief Pain Inventory average pain severity and interference scores, Short Form-36 bodily pain domain, and Clinical Global Impression of Severity score. Duloxetine was generally well tolerated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25660434

Esther12 and Snow Leopard like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    A small short trial. No effect on fatigue.

Esther12 and Snow Leopard like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I read this. I thought the reporting in the full paper (not necessarily the abstract) seemed reasonably fair, though one could speculate that there was a tendency to favour the drug.

The trial was funded by a drug company.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I just counted: there were 131 instances in the Duloxetine group (n=29) versus 62 in the placebo group (n=30).

Another way of doing it. There were 23 times adverse events were higher in the Duloxetine group versus 3 in the placebo group (I counted any within one percentage of each other as being no different: there were 3 of them). (I'm not talking about statistically significant differences, just the full list).

ukxmrv likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Some of the exclusions:

So some (or a few) people who might not respond or who might have adverse reactions are excluded

SOC likes this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The baseline mean SF-36 physical functioning scores for the duloxetine group was 63.1. According to the PACE Trial investigators (though not most other people) they were already "back to normal"/had normal physical functioning!

ukxmrv and SOC like this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

It took a lot of work to do this trial:

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

ukxmrv likes this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn likes this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn likes this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

2 reported weight gain in the duloxetine group versus none in the placebo group. This was a short trial (12 weeks); a longer trial might find more reports.

Here's what Wikipedia says on adverse effects https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duloxetine#Adverse_effects:

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Of the other 4 MFI subscales, there was no difference on "reduced activity" and the results were better (though none approached significance) on the other three.

13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

So it does look like it could be a useful drug for pain though this would need to be balanced with the side effects.

14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The baseline scores for two SF-36 domains were a lot different (and the difference was statistically significant):
    Mental Health: Duloxetine: 71.0 (+/- 14.3) vs Placebo: 55.4 (+/- 20.0)
    Role Emotional: 74.1 (+/-33.8) vs 38.3 (+/- 43.1)
    (higher scores represent better results/fewer problems).

So hard to make a fair comparison of the differential effects here.

One possible suspicion here is about whether there was proper random allocation. Suicidality is a known possible effect with this drug (it seems) so the investigators and/or the drug company ideally wouldn't like to have any such cases from the drugs.

Valentijn and A.B. like this.

See more popular forum discussions.