1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A question about THE apology

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by max, Oct 24, 2011.

1. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    And he believes in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, too, I suppose? :p

2. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    This is exatly right! Norway is a very unique. Also they have a small population, and being rich this equates to more money per head available to spend. So Norway typically does not feel the need to short change their citizens.

The thing is, i understand that other governments arent in as easy a position financially, but services should always protect the vulnerable and sick, by principle. The problem in the UK is that the gov't, nor people like Weasley, have any!

BY THE WAY - if you are british, then go sign the gov't petition about getting an appology from the british gov't too. See the advocacy forum for details!

3. Smygen

Smygen Not so serious ;)

Why should he ? That is all in your head aswell
    ;)

4. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Sssssh! Don't let him know Santa isn't coming down the chimeny at Christmas and leaving him more scientific grants and honours!
    Instead it will be PC Plod and the guys in white coats with straight jackets! :p

5. Gamboa

Gamboa Senior Member

Canada
    Is it possible that this last study was the final straw and that they were leaning towards a change anyway? This study finally tipped the balance. 5000 studies was great but 5001 could no longer be ignored!!

Whatever the reason I'm really pleased that it happened. I hope this good will spreads to other countries. So far I've seen no mention of this study here in Canada.

6. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Maybe it was the TV publicity that shamed the Norwegian government into making the apology?

So many interviews! I've seen English subtitles for some but not all. The TV showed real patients - people locked away in darkness, people labelled as mentally ill because they believed it was a physical illness.

They told it as it is!

In the UK we never get on TV. If we appear in the press it's because of a "miracle quack" cures that someone wants to sell. No real ME patients ever get to tell it as it is on TV. "Safe" patients tend to be interviewed, hardly ever anyone severely ill, we are heavily edited, few of our letters are published and more coverage is given to any psychiatric aspects of the illness.

Our issues are ignored by the press and TV. Our demonstrations and petitions are ignored.

The coverage for this research has been a revelation.

7. max

max *****

Hi ukxmrv - (ukautoimmunne) (translated from Norwegian)

Your point concerning the shameful press that has entertained us for the last few decades is more than valid - but do they not realise we have seen the reports from afar - over the horizon - across the great sea to the east.

8. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
  9. max

max *****

I think xmas may be cancelled this year if Euroland does not come up with at least 1Trillion tomorrow for the banksters - Funding may be an issue if they can't find another magicians hat pronto. If the PIGS are left to founder, don't expect Norway to be in a position to do anything for a while. Could be a wild ride on the markets tomorrow. Hope Wessely has lots of his ill gotten gains in equities!

Amazing how all these governments can accumulate stupid amounts of money from thin air again and again and again to maintain their illusion and hide their lies - yet for 20 years they could not raise :eek::eek::eek::eek:'all for scientific research that would help people. :Retro mad:

Nielk likes this.
  10. FancyMyBlood

FancyMyBlood Senior Member

Another thing that could be 'responsible' for this apology is that the Norwegian government is aware of data that is not yet published.

I came to this idea after I read the whole rituximab study today and the authors state 'Work is in progress in our laboratory to elucidate the localization and nature of a putative target for an autoimmune process.'.

11. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    The two cancer doctors in Norway are making slow progress because they are borrowing resources that are intended be used for cancer patients. I think it's a miracle the doctors are allowed to do this. I can't imagine my local cancer center funding something like this, and providing staff. Maybe the government of Norway can show it's remorse by funding an ongoing multi-disciplinary project at this hospital to research and treat CFS.

Nielk likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.