• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A psychological perspective of Processing Problems

Gavman

Processing Processing Problems

constipated child.jpg
Break States can create a look of constipated thinking or being frozen in time.​

There is a term in NLP that is called a break state. This is where you stop someone in the midst of talking, thinking or doing and insert new code. It is useful to break people out of shock and bad experiences and put in a new one.

Other than looking at genetics, diet and the like, there can be psychological causes to processing difficulties in people.
Persistence leads to perfection. While perfection is not a healthy end goal, the more we persist in something, the more developed we get.

So imagine this scenario:

A kid who can't easily work out what his mother is saying and gives her a constipated look when asked a question. If it takes more than 5 seconds, the mother will interrupt and, this i think is the critical area, if a mother interrupts with something self directing like: its ok, there is no right or wrong answer, the answer is yours. Then the child spends more time -in- themselves and this will help create neurological connections to assist in the child's development.

Imagine if the mother though says: This is the answer, no no you are wrong, or anyway lets move on. - This behavior done enough will undermine the childs confidence in himself and create a breakstate in the childs developmental thinking.

You see this kind of thing in the classroom, where a child who is shy will try and speak, and inserts his own breakstate as he is used to one being there: UHMMMMM... AAAHHH..If breakstates happen too much, then a child will appear stupid. And probably be treated accordingly, further demolishing his confidence and processing abilities.Fixing the problem requires understanding, accepting and looking at these breakstates so that they may be dealt with. As a child, this could be the mother getting the child to become internally directed, again with words like: its ok, however long it takes you is fine, allow yourself to be yourself and say whatever you think/feel is right.

As an adult, dealing with processing problems is again the same thing, however, as it is foreign, it becomes harder. It -is- ok to be yourself and being selfish does not mean looking at yourself, and the pain that it might cause to look at this will be short term. When you notice a breakstate, talk to yourself, tell yourself its ok. Accept it being there, look at it.Moving through a problem is not ignoring it is there, it is about accepting it and looking at it enough that the problem dissolves. If the problem continues, you may find yourself asking, what other way can i look at this? What better way can i think about this?

When I have a brain processing delay or say the wrong thing etc, I just blame it on my hair colour - I'm a natural blonde! It works every time :D

I should try the constipated look next time ;)

hurtingallthetimet

thats cute foggy : )

i hate when i forget what to say etc..or forget a word but can see it in my head...like i may want to say apple and see the image and not remember what its called...or it could be other way around remember a word but forget what it looks like all together...worse is the dangerous things i do..forget candles burning all night...etc..really upsets me because of my family...
ive asked doctors told is part oft he fibro/cfs...

Calathea

It's an interesting theory, but it appears to be rewriting a neurological problem as a psychological one. If I am unable to understand a question, I am not helped by someone saying, "It's alright, there is no right or wrong answer," or similar responses. Trust me, I've had plenty of people try this on me. It never helps, but it can distract me from being able to concentrate on the original question, and if it's done condescendingly enough then irritation will also be a distraction. What I usually need them to do is rephrase the question, or wait until a background noise has stopped, or give me a rest break because I've been answering too many questions and am getting overloaded, or help me attend to something else physical which may have been interfering with my cognitive processing.

Gavman

I agree Calathea, in everything but the chicken before the egg being a neurological problem and that it can't be helped at both ends.

Giving someone time or helping them find -their- way to process something is the important part of this. If a parent realises, hey telling this kid its ok just confuses them more.. then they can shut up.

I'm not saying this will cure CFS, i'm saying that progress in this area may help ease the effort of overprocessing.