• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A protein-bound polysaccharide and metabolic mechanism

Jenny TipsforME

J Ethnopharmacol. 2017 Mar 27. pii: S0378-8741(16)31138-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2017.03.041. [Epub ahead of print]
Characterization of a protein-bound polysaccharide from Herba Epimedii and its metabolic mechanism in chronic fatigue syndrome.
Chi A1, Shen Z2, Zhu W2, Sun Y2, Kang Y2, Guo F2.
Author information:

Laboratory of Nutrition and Hygiene, Shaanxi Normal University, Xi'an 710119, China. Electronic address: chimu@snnu.edu.cn.
Laboratory of Nutrition and Hygiene, Shaanxi Normal University, Xi'an 710119, China.

Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
Herba Epimedii is one of the famous Traditional Chinese Medicines used to treat the chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). The polysaccharides are the main active components in Herba Epimedii. The aim of this study is to discover the therapeutic effect and metabolic mechanism of Herba Epimedii polysaccharides against CFS.

METHODS:
The polysaccharide conjugates named HEP2-a were isolated from the leaves of Herba Epimedii using a water extraction method, and the general physicochemical properties of HEP2-a were analysed. In addition, a CFS rat model was established, and then, urinary metabonomic studies were performed using gas chromatography time-of-flight mass spectrometry (GC-TOF-MS) in combination with multivariate statistical analysis.

RESULTS:
The physicochemical properties revealed that HEP2-a had an average molecular weight of 13.6×104 Da and consisted of mannose (4.41%), rhamnose (5.43%), glucose (31.26%), galactose (27.07%), arabinose (23.43%), and galacturonic acid (8.40%). The amino acids in HEP2-a include glutamate, cysteine, leucine, tyrosine, lysine, and histidine. Molecular morphology studies revealed many highly curled spherical particles with diameters of 5-10µm in solids and 100-200nm for particles in water. Five metabolites in the HEP2-a group were oppositely and significantly changed compared to the CFS model group.

CONCLUSION:
Two metabolic pathways were identified as significant metabolic pathways involved with HEP2-a. The therapeutic effects of HEP2-a on CFS were partially due to the restoration of these disturbed pathways.

Copyright © 2017. Published by Elsevier B.V.

PMID: 28359851

This seems interesting. I don't fully understand but it seems to tie in a Chinese herb already found to be helpful in CFS with its amino acids and metabolic pathways.

I think this is the research team involved in this previous thread http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...om-schisandra-chinensis-to-relieve-cfs.46369/

Jenny TipsforME

I.e. There have been old studies giving mammals ME via blood = plausible.

But tiring out rats in an exercise wheel, isn't the same as CFS.

alex3619

No animal models of ME or CFS are validated. We know that primates infected with blood from outbreak patients will have neurological damage, but even that is not proof of ME. They are essentially saying that CFS = Fatigue.

Murph

:)
Take two groups of rats. Tire them both out and feed one group polysaccharides (carbohydrate). Notice that its metabolism shows signs of difference.

Publish in dodgy journal.

repeat