1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"A Propaganda Index for Reviewing Problem Framing in Articles and Manuscripts: An Exploratory Study"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0019516

The full paper is relatively short: 5 pages including references, graphs, the figure with the 32 questions, etc.

*I gave each sentence its own paragraph

Sasha, biophile, Jarod and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

It would be interesting to apply this to many papers in the ME/CFS field. I remember somebody pointing out, which I hadn't explicitly noticed, that there wasn't a single biological finding mentioned in the 4000(?)-word Lancet paper on the PACE Trial. I've started noticing that many papers on CBT in the field are like this.

Kati, Xandoff, Sasha and 2 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is a teaching tool really, not a highly validated ratings instrument. So to use it effectively would require not only a rating, but examples substantiating each point.

Xandoff likes this.
  4. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    :) This made my day.

Xandoff likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

One area that is mentioned a few times is that it's propaganda unless well-argued alternative views (ideally with citations) are given.

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Some of the items on the questionnaire seem quite specific to the problem of medicalisation. Some other alternative items would probably be better in some other scenarios i.e. it's my impression it probably wouldn't work well as a universally applied questionnaire.

See more popular forum discussions.