1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A possability for less work and easier food preperation?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by Deatheye, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Deatheye

Deatheye Senior Member

So I was totally unsure where to put this.

https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-Body

This Looks interesting. I would test it out but at the Moment it is only beeing delivered in the US.

You save the time and energy to cook, as Long as it is in powder form it can be stored much longer then any fresh Food.

You can even create your own reciept if you Need more of one ingredient:

http://diy.soylent.me/

Anyone from the US thinks about trying this out? Anyone any thoughts about it?

Aside from the Information on the official site itself I only foun a article in german ( http://www.vice.com/alps/read/30-tage-ohne-essen ).

In that article the write a test for 30 days, he felt unwell on the second day, dosen't mention anything about sympthoms later on. He also writes that he feels unwell about the thougt to not eat normal Food for so Long and maybe some of the sympthoms on the second day could be psycological.
    He shortly metions a doctor visit. But only one Thing is mentioned, he lost 5kg weight. But it seems he had to much weigt anyway so that was a good Thing.

Caffeine seems to have an extreme effect together with soylent, so he says you should be carefully testing how much caffeine you take in and how you react. He compares it with Amphetamine.

Cause he wasn't eating anything else he had to Train his chewing muscles with chewing gum but there is no Problem alternae between soyet and normal Food.

The statments on he sylmet site from customers seem to Report a lot of things ike "more energy" bether thinking (bether cognitiv fnctionality), but I'm always carefull with them. I always wonder how much those are real or a PR Thing. Even if they are real bad ones propbly don't et published on the Producers site.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I hope they don't come out with a Green variety. ;)

3. PNR2008

PNR2008 Senior Member

OH USA
  4. Deatheye

Deatheye Senior Member

They ntend to make a vegan verson, maye the green on is next ^^

5. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Surely these guys are having a laugh, naming it Soylent! Do an internet search and see what you find, avoiding the promotional sites.

The Wikipedia entry is interesting.

One alarming aspect is that fat comes exclusively from olive oil, and that omega-3s are not considered essential. They are! This surely indicates that the producer has a poor grasp of nutrition.

Also, I quote:

Personally I enjoy food and have no desire to give it up. I appreciate that some people have difficulty with food preparation/eating, but IMO they would be better off with a medically-approved substitute or getting food prepared by someone else if they can.

Little Bluestem and Valentijn like this.
  6. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    OK, I have just checked their blog page and there is omega-3 in it (now?). I still have no desire to try it! We need solid food for healthy bowel function, which is particularly important in ME.

Valentijn and PennyIA like this.
  7. Deatheye

Deatheye Senior Member

Is there any proove about needing solid Food? That was one thought I had too. But I don't know if it actually makes a difference.

Doesn't that also Count for "normal" Food intake too? I don't really see how this is Special to soylent.
    Sadly 14 refers to a book and not an online ressource.
    Reference number 4 links to an article on techkrunch and I guess it's about this:

£Sound a lot less worrying then how it is described on Wikipedia. Basically says we don't know. Which also would apply to every other way of Food intake.
    Also I think that it's pretty outdated, the Website at least now has pretty detailed Information what is in it. The Article ius from May 2013.

Why is that alarming? Also I've read that there are (maybe also newly added) at least two sources of fat. I can't seem to find the sources again doing a quick search :/
    I think ist from the fish oil?

I agree. But I had times where I wasn't able to make Food for days or even weeks.
    I allready take suplements in pill forms, personally I think I would prefere a all in one thing over a bag full of pills.
    In those cases I lived of small things like one or two joghurts a day or nothing for a few days. In some cases I got IV nutritions... That helped, seemed I allready had a lot of nutritens missing and IVs aren't really a thing I'm looking Forward too, specially since my blood vessels start to inflame if I have those too often which causes even more Problems...

The developers, or at least one of them lived 3 months only of soylent and thoesn't seem to have any Problems.
    Personally, if somehow possible, I alsow wouldn't fulle go away from normal Food. Just for those cases that something is bether then nothing.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  8. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    The developers may claim to have done things. Is there proof that they actually did, and did they have health checks afterwards? Don't forget - things like bowel cancer can take decades to develop.

I'm just expressing my views and pointing out possible reasons not to do it. It's of course entirely up to you if you want to.

Here are some articles that you might want to read and consider before deciding:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2013/05/nutrition
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/10032594/The-man-who-lives-without-food.html

If I were to use a meal replacement I would rather it were developed by a biologist than by a software engineer!

9. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I don't trust any product which is being sold on the internet before the nutritional info is even available - does this stuff actually exist, or is it a scam? And why buy it for $3+ per "meal" when you can get oat/rice milk or the raw ingredients and mix them yourself?

The blog also says the drink "has everything the body needs" which is obviously not true. Rice + oats + oils + thickening gums is not something to live off of.

10. Deatheye

Deatheye Senior Member

This is the first blog post gointo the Details of what it contains. It does exists, I've read articles from journalists that tested it out.

11. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Those are ingredients, not nutritional information.

See more popular forum discussions.