• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Plant Based Diet Is The Gold Standard For Me And My Health

golden

I like very much your nature tales woolpippi :) Thankyou.

Good luck guarding the little forrest

golden

My garden is a mess but a haven for wildlife! I gets lots of bumblebees and many other things. I encourage plants that are good for insects. Last year my young Buddleia was almost completely devoured by some very pretty caterpillars. As I don't believe in harming anything, I let them. Then they all disappeared, presumably gone to pupate. The Buddleia grew back soon after, better than ever, so maybe it was a kind of symbiotic relationship.

I have laughed in the past at the way people manage and fuss over their gardens. I wrote a poem called:

Garden Warfare

If i ever get my computer working again i will post it along with my poem rant on plastic lol.

Its funny too because what I have chosen not to do in my life has defined me.

They tore down a beautiful old hedge across the road that had been there probably more than 60 years - for no reason -the council - no respect.

Sean

Best general dietary advice I ever got was:

Eat moderately
Eat frequently
Eat mostly plants

golden

Have you looked to see if there are any vegan/veggie contacts or groups in your area? I have felt quite empowered by joining my local group. I don't know if you are well enough for such things, but we go out for meals and have food-shares at people's houses. It's great being with other people and feeling 'normal'! :)

Dreambirdies thread has reminded me of something. I tthink i maybe having a bit of a psyche clear out. I have been taking these pills and getting distant treatment so it could be that.
L
Anyway, your idea is great. I have looked up a local zen group and hope to join it.

Its not Thich Nhat Nanh lineage but ok. I was chatting to friend tonight about this and he gave me :

Going Home - by thich nhat Nanh. So will read it. He was a vegan.

I recall talking with a vegan once who wanted me to keep my cats in cages.(to protect birds). The cats that own me were not best pleaaed with that idea lol.

You can imagine! Now they try to get me to eat all manner of things

I have a lot in common with paleo philosophy (apart fron the humans shouls eat meat part :) ) I cook bone broth and raw meat y bone for the animals.

Last edited:

golden

Best general dietary advice I ever got was:

Eat moderately
Eat frequently
Eat mostly plants

I like this general advice very much.

The moderate part is not spoken of too much but in Ayruveda and macrobiotics i think you are only supposed to eat to 50-70% capacity.

The 5:2 diet has two fasting days.

All this allows for rest. And helps the digestion but not good for everyone due to blood sugar issues or when you are ill.

golden

I have a flock of curlews in my back field. Thats first ever time.

So i am currently stuck on a step in the middle of my city centre. Lol

i have visited two zen centres .

The first turned out to be actually the kadampa tibetan buddhist centre. The cafe was closed :(

The second i forget the lineage. But i got a lot of e nergy from there which helped me as was struggling .

Didn't meet anyone.

People are busying themselves about like you wouldn't believe and there are tons of eating and drinking places.

golden

Creating this thread seemed to resolve the internal issue i was struggling with. Isn't that amazing. Thankyou :)

I recovered a strong sense of inner diet guidance.

I must add I am very grateful to the naturopath on the whole. Aside from the meat and trying to take away my brown rice - it was all good :)

Even though brown rice saved my life , i have considerably reduced it, again out of a 'fear' ....so i am going to start increasing this again.

I have taken a notch up the healing ladder over the last couple of weeks or so and have begun physical training. It is building up.

5x per week i have been cycling 5miles plus. And walking round shops and heavy housework.

Of an evening i have been preparing a hot bath with magnesium and doing yoga in it. (please nobody do bath yoga as its dangerous lol) i have to carry big casserole pots of water from my cooker to my bath since i have no hot water. These are heavy. This is my upper body work out :)

I am hoping. I have adjustments to make but hoping to improve and stabilize in the improvement.

Daily blueberries are very good. I add them to my avacado/cinnamon rice milk smoothie.

Last edited:

end

Don't mean to stand on anybody's toes...

I was a Vegan for a couple years, went very slim and my skin went very "polished"

I am a blood group A, so the diet made sense

However by year two my fatigue increased hugely started to have bad dyspepsia which I never suffered from in my life previously

Primal body primal mind
Gut and psychology syndrome
www.lvs.com.au - these people are hardcore health addict's!!!

All say Vegan individual's have the worst pathology on the planet... taken from studies of vegans all around the world

Living Valley Springs - USED to be all Vegan 20 years ago, and guess what?

They NOW advocate what the authors of Gut and Psychology Syndrome, Primal Body Primal Mind advocate!!!

The nutrients in vegetables are deceptive as the break down of there nutrients are rated after being extracted IN A LAB!!!

The human digestive system is NOT A LAB!!!

But don't get me wrong despite what I have learned, I'm still not happy eating animal products... the thought of eating something that used to have a heart beat with thoughts and feeling's doesn't sit right with me.

Just my 2 cents

golden

Thanks end :)

No worries. I have resolved my initial personal qualm which made me create the thread.

I am happy for it to go in other directions.

Do you have links to the studies?

I don't actually believe in the blood groups theories either. Plus, they contradict each other.

Golden

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I have found a lot of pressure to eat meat and go 'paleo' from M.E doctors to folks on these boards. i'm afraid that nothing is going to induce me to eat meat and I do not believe it is necessary for good health. If that is the case then all the paleos on here would be better and we would be the worse affected.

I have many many veggie and vegan friends who have never been ill, and certainly no probs like M.E. I come from a large extended veggie family. My mum, sister and brother. My husband and his mum. My 4 children have never eaten meat. My 2 year old granddaughter is a 3rd generation vegetarian - her mum is veggie and her grandma on her mums side.

If we all go out to a restaurant together it is a laugh as everyone realises we are ALL veggie!

For me to eat meat would mean giving up a huge part of my being and deeply held beliefs about the sacredness of all life. For me animals are even more vulnerable as they are so open to exploitation by humans, without a voice of their own to stop the appalling slaughter and treatment.

I also never wanted to eat meat as a child - I would be made to eat it and then chew and chew for ages - it would never go down!

@MeSci I am very interested to hear some more about your diet.

Justy
ps so nice to have a thread where I don't feel threatemed about my non meat eating beliefs

LaurelW

I'm like you--I was born a non-meat-eater. Have been vegetarian since the age of 16 and vegan for the last 6 years. I think a lot of the pressure to eat meat and dairy was instilled in America in the 50s and 60s by the meat and dairy councils putting out the "Four Food Groups," which of course isn't used today. But a lot of people in this country are still brainwashed by this early training since it was taught in schools. People didn't know back then that a lot of plant foods have protein and they thought you would die from a lack of it if you didn't eat meat. That is changing, but it's taking time. Vegetarian diets are becoming more and more popular, and the science is behind it.

I think some people truly do better on paleo diets and it's up to each of us to see what works for our own bodies.

But I also think that much of the backlash against grains is because of refined grains, which truly are not good. How many people who abhor grains have tried eating only unrefined?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Justy
ps so nice to have a thread where I don't feel threatemed about my non meat eating beliefs

I consume plenty of veg and a small amount of fruit. I limit grains, have no added sugar and avoid gluten, and have plenty of nuts and coconut oil.

I have gluten-free bread and crackers, and some root veg including potatoes.

Here is a link to a study that compared cancer and cardiovascular disease risks in vegans, veggies and omnivores.

There are many such studies, and vegans seem generally to be at least as healthy as the average person. I have been vegan for over 30 years.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I consume plenty of veg and a small amount of fruit. I limit grains, have no added sugar and avoid gluten, and have plenty of nuts and coconut oil.

I have gluten-free bread and crackers, and some root veg including potatoes.

Here is a link to a study that compared cancer and cardiovascular disease risks in vegans, veggies and omnivores.

There are many such studies, and vegans seem generally to be at least as healthy as the average person. I have been vegan for over 30 years.

I should add - I also have tofu and vegan cheese, and soya milk in tea, and xylitol as a sweetener. I don't seem to have any problems with soy (or xylitol). I'm currently having a nut/seed roast made with brazil nuts and sesame seeds, which is unusually delicious for my cooking! :D

golden

Oh yeah - Soya - she also tried to get me off soya :/

My most favourite meal ever is:

Tofu Seaweed Cakes topped with soy free vegan cheese, buckwheat and hemp seeds and peas.

Love that combo :)

golden

I think trying to stop me eating brown rice and soya came from a Paleo perspective.

Whilst I respect people who choose to eat a lot of meat each day, i find some of the 'paleo ' concepts puzzling.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1695228
by science writer Rob Dunn.

Some of my questions are raised in this article such as :
Which Ancestors?
Why aren't insects touted more (mmmmm cheatin' insects) :)

And so on...

Also the past is no panacea.

golden

I have found a lot of pressure to eat meat and go 'paleo' from M.E doctors to folks on these boards. i'm afraid that nothing is going to induce me to eat meat and I do not believe it is necessary for good health. If that is the case then all the paleos on here would be better and we would be the worse affected.

I have many many veggie and vegan friends who have never been ill, and certainly no probs like M.E. I come from a large extended veggie family. My mum, sister and brother. My husband and his mum. My 4 children have never eaten meat. My 2 year old granddaughter is a 3rd generation vegetarian - her mum is veggie and her grandma on her mums side.

If we all go out to a restaurant together it is a laugh as everyone realises we are ALL veggie!

For me to eat meat would mean giving up a huge part of my being and deeply held beliefs about the sacredness of all life. For me animals are even more vulnerable as they are so open to exploitation by humans, without a voice of their own to stop the appalling slaughter and treatment.

I also never wanted to eat meat as a child - I would be made to eat it and then chew and chew for ages - it would never go down!

Justy

Your family sounds amazing Justy :)

My friend is a vegan mostly of 30years (dabbled mildly with vegetarianism for a short while)

He takes no supplements and is extremely fit and very active for long enduring periods.

My M.E. Group actively discriminated against two vegans trying to join (one ill, one a care) And they had to leave.
I had too leave to sometime later due to this issue. They excluded.

This is becoming illegal now.

I do believe I was born vegetarian but was conditioned to eat meat.

I felt though for Chantek he calls himself half-human/half orangutan - (the ape who went to college)
He loved his Big Macs - the zoo he ended up in will only feed him vegetable protein now.