• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A pilot study on effects of molybdenum

taniaaust1

I tried molybdenum after a hair test came up showing I was deficient in this trace element and it really started helping my concentration issues and mind fog in 3-5 days.

Ive just come across a molybdenum study I found interesting so thought I'd share it (note this study wasnt on people who had any deficiency of it showing but rather in ones who had aches and pains).

http://www.encognitive.com/node/12179

Maybe it would be interesting to trial this among the ME/CFS group. Anyway we could set up an informal trial of molybdenum between ourselves?

My molybdenum capsules contain 100mcg molybdenum which I was only taking once a day. The ones I use are called "Molyzinc" (which also have a bit of zinc in them)

The study I provided link too used "elemental molybdenum was 100 mu g per capsule" with 4 capsules spead out over the day (so 400 mu g).

Can someone please tell me what mu g stands for?

If you are going to trial it and interested in doing an informal study between ourselves here it would be good to rate things in same way. (keeping things simple)

They used a 5-point scale:
5--very bad
4--bad
3--moderate
2--fairly good
1--good

note before starting the molybdenum

Rating for aches and pains is ?
Rating for general health is ?
Rating for concentration is?
Rating for ability to do maths in ones head is ?

(ive added those last things cause that is the area in which molybdenum really helped me, I went from not being able to do maths in my head, to being able to do so)

and then can you share the before rating and the after one month of molybdenum supplementation rating here.

If you post to say you are going to try this.. please post back with the result even if it didnt help. Also in your post include the amount of molybdenum you trialed and if it helped in any way.. can you say after how many days you noted an improvement.

thanks.. It would be very interesting to know how many of us, this supplement which helps with detox, may help in some way

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have been taking molybdenum(MO), as 150 mcg (mu g) molybdenum amino acid chelate, for nearly two years. I did not notice an improvement in my cognitive function. I have had improvement in my digestion.

When I was researching it, the recommendations I found were for 300 mcg/day either as three 100 mcg doses or two 150 mcg doses.

When I had my first hair mineral analysis (after I had started looking for MO), my MO was very low. It stayed that way for a almost a year, then came up to normal during a six month period. I am now taking only 150 mcg/day and will decide whether to continue that after my next mineral analysis.

I had a difficult time finding MO in the smaller dose size. I finally found some out-of-state. When I bought my second 6-month supply, one of the employees became upset about the amount that I was buying. He said that the supplement guide that the owner favored said that MO could have all sorts of negative side effects. I didnt have time to get into a discussion of ME/CFS, so just bought my MO and went on my way. I think a person should be careful not to take too high a dose of MO and not to take it when they do not need it.

Lou

Hi Little Bluestem, Surely you meant micrograms, not milligrams. You definitely don't want or wish anyone else to take 150 milligrams (mgs) of molybendum.

I have been taking molybdenum(MO), as 150 mg molybdenum amino acid chelate, for nearly two years. I did not notice an improvement in my cognitive function. I have had improvement in my digestion.

When I was researching it, the recommendations I found were for 300 mg/day either as three 100 mg doses or two 150 mg doses.

When I had my first hair mineral analysis (after I had started looking for MO), my MO was very low. It stayed that way for a almost a year, then came up to normal during a six month period. I am now taking only 150 mg/day and will decide whether to continue that after my next mineral analysis.

I had a difficult time finding MO in the smaller dose size. I finally found some out-of-state. When I bought my second 6-month supply, one of the employees became upset about the amount that I was buying. He said that the supplement guide that the owner favored said that MO could have all sorts of negative side effects. I didnt have time to get into a discussion of ME/CFS, so just bought my MO and went on my way. I think a person should be careful not to take too high a dose of MO and not to take it when they do not need it.

alex3619

Molybdenum was a hot topic in the late 90s. Its been tested by patients before so far as I can recall. About half of us benefit from it so far as I can recall, some dramatically. There used to be a website on this by someone called Steven Cootes but I could not find it again several years ago. Bye, Alex

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Hi Little Bluestem, Surely you meant micrograms, not milligrams. You definitely don't want or wish anyone else to take 150 milligrams (mgs) of molybendum.

Eek, I definitely don't! Fortunately, I don't thing you could buy that much if you bought every bottle in the store. I have corrected the original post.

taniaaust1

Molybdenum was a hot topic in the late 90s. Its been tested by patients before so far as I can recall. About half of us benefit from it so far as I can recall, some dramatically. There used to be a website on this by someone called Steven Cootes but I could not find it again several years ago. Bye, Alex

Wow.. half of patients responding that is really something.

Thanks for that info Alex.