Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A Pair of Identical Twins Discordant for ME/CFS Differ in Physiological Parameters and Gut Microbiom

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Kyla, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://www.amjcaserep.com/abstract/index/idArt/900314

Helen, Snow Leopard, Izola and 20 others like this.
  2. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

The biome results - is there actually enough understanding of this to say which of two biomes is 'better', or reflective of a disease state. Diet can massively change the biome as an example, as can exposure to outside influences - both of which may vary in a severely affected CFS patient.

Snow Leopard, Marky90 and flybro like this.
  3. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

As they say, they need to do a bigger study on twins.

I'm a monozygotic twin, with a healthy other half, and would like to know where I went wrong to get what I've got. We both tended to get the same illnesses and even have the same kinds of accidents while we were growing up.

Izola, mango, Marky90 and 9 others like this.
  4. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    It would be good if you and your twin could sign up to a biobank, as I am sure monozygotic twins are in hot demand:

http://solvecfs.org/biobank/

Snow Leopard, Izola, mango and 9 others like this.
  5. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    There seems to be a universal finding that less diversity is associated with a variety of health problems and western guts in general are less diverse than those of people eating traditional diets, not to mention the few examples of traditional hunter gatherers.

I haven't had a chance to read the detail of the study yet - am particularly interested in the virome study.

Izola and Cheesus like this.
  6. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    @alicec Would I be correct in thinking that prokaryotic viruses are the same thing as bacteriophages?

Izola likes this.
  7. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Yes. A phage is a virus that infects a bacterium. I am not sure if the same term is used for a virus which infects an archaeon (also a prokaryote). Archaea are present in the gut though in small amounts compared with bacteria.

RogerBlack and Cheesus like this.
  8. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    I would be surprised if 34 year old healthy twins had the same microbiome. Has there been any study of that?

Helen likes this.
  9. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    There does appear to be a heritable component to the microbiome - ie host genes play a role. Here is a report of an interesting recent study.

Snow Leopard and Sea like this.
  10. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

There is.
    But after you've moved out and not been living with someone for a decade, it looks lots less similar.
    No useful cite other than it was mentioned on this week in virology.

Sea likes this.
  11. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    The recent twin study found that at least a dozen microbes are heritable and that these are temporally stable.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.