May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A New Hormone Found?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Paralee, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    It's called asprosin, it was on the news tonite, but I did a search and found an article from last March, I think. Anyway, it's got to do with glucose and possibly weight gain and loss, and diabetes. The article said it's on the gene B3GALT6.

I looked to see if it has been brought up already on PR, and nothing pulled up just like it. Sorry if it's already been discussed and "old hat".

Edit: sorry, meant to @Valentijn on this one.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    cfs6691, nandixon and JaimeS like this.
  2. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Very interesting, thanks for posting!

cfs6691, aimossy, nandixon and 2 others like this.
  3. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    I just wonder if it might have something to do with me not wanting to eat, that's the way it was presented on the news to begin with, then went into the other possibilities.

4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    "Not wanting to eat"... IMHO gluconeogenesis is easier for patients than glycolysis. This is a really intriguing puzzle piece, thanks for bringing it to attention!

Paralee, Gondwanaland and nandixon like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Back when I was looking into the biochem that might be related to ME and CFS I discovered that new hormones are found on a regular basis. I have no idea if its that prevalent now. There are lots of subtle changes that can be made to hormones that alter their characteristics. Back then most of the new hormones discovered were eicosanoids. Eicosanoids are very short range hormones, targeting nearby cells. Asprosin appears to have long range effects, targeting the liver.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  6. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

I wish I had something that made we want to eat less.....put on 2 stone since I stopped moving.

If this hormone is faulty with people with CFS/ME though wouldn't this show up in abnormal blood glucose levels?

Perhaps I skim read it wrong?

Ritto likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.