• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A new case definition of Neuro-Inflammatory and Oxidative Fatigue (NIOF), a neuroprogressive...

Effi

As they explained it to me, there are Dutch-speaking culturally Flemish Belgian citizens and French-speaking culturally French Belgian citizens.
Don't forget the German-speaking Belgians! We have three official languages.

Effi

I've been in meetings where we all spoke our own language, and all understood eachother: Dutch/French/German. #onlyinBelgium ;)

SOC

Don't forget the German-speaking Belgians! We have three official languages.
Oh gosh! Maybe they were trying to simplify it for poor little me. :p

The Belgians I know are of many different cultural backgrounds -- French, Flemish, Vietnamese, German, Italian, Morroccan. They do not consider themselves French or Vietnamese or Italian. They are Belgian. Just like Dutch-speaking Flemish Belgians are Belgians, not "Dutch". Am I right?

msf

That´s pretty cool, the Low Countries must be amongst the most multilingual countries in the developed world. You´re definitely better than the British, unless we count Scottish, Irish and Welsh English as separate languages!

Effi

Oh gosh! Maybe they were trying to simplify it for poor little me. :p

The Belgians I know are of many different cultural backgrounds -- French, Flemish, Vietnamese, German, Italian, Morroccan. They do not consider themselves French or Vietnamese or Italian. They are Belgian. Just like Dutch-speaking Flemish Belgians are Belgians, not "Dutch". Am I right?
correct. If you want trouble, call a Flemish person Dutch and you'll see what happens! ;)

Explaining all this stuff makes even my head spin. It's ridiculous. But it's our reality and we kinda love it!

Effi

That´s pretty cool, the Low Countries must be amongst the most multilingual countries in the developed world. You´re definitely better than the British, unless we count Scottish, Irish and Welsh English as separate languages!
I think Flanders is one of the regions in the world with the biggest variety of dialects. This is changing because of general globalisation and people moving around, but it used to be possible to recognize if a person was from one village or the one right next to it, just by vocabulary. All villages are right next to each other here, no solitary places. So that's pretty interesting. But as I said, it's fading away.

msf

Haha, that reminds me of a story about the many dialects of the Chinese province of Fujian. One old guy told a story of his youth where he had to go to the next village to get something for a wedding, and the people in the next village couldn´t understand him! I think that is too much linguistic diversity...

msf

I don´t feel up to going through it at the moment - what do you make of it? I am asking about about the specific claims, rather than your general perception of Maes.

Last edited:

Sidereal

I don´t feel up to going through it at the moment - what do you make of it? I am asking about about the specific claims, rather than your general perception of Maes.

I gave up after a couple of pages to be honest.