• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A new case definition of Neuro-Inflammatory and Oxidative Fatigue (NIOF), a neuroprogressive...

msf

I think they are called Flemish, not Dutch. It´s like calling someone with an English surname from the USA English.

BurnA

I think they are called Flemish, not Dutch. It´s like calling someone with an English surname from the USA English.

Well I know anyone with an Irish surname from the USA is called Irish :)

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"

Not quite I think. I used to go to Flemish Rheumatology Society meetings in Belgium. Nobody there spoke French. Half were from Holland. They appeared to be all from the same tribe, whether or not they lived east or west of the Oosterschelder.

msf

Yes, the Flemish Rheumotology Society meetings, in Belgium. The guy is Flemish, from Belgium. The language is Dutch. They probably share a lot of DNA as well as a language, but that doesn´t make them Dutch, just as it doesn´t make Anglo-Americans English.

BurnA

Not quite I think. I used to go to Flemish Rheumatology Society meetings in Belgium. Nobody there spoke French. Half were from Holland. They appeared to be all from the same tribe, whether or not they lived east or west of the Oosterschelder.

I'm with @msf on this pedantic discussion.
Nationality and tribal are different things and besides, the Belgian Flemish don't consider themselves Dutch, no more than they speak French.

msf

Haha, it may be pedantic to you, but it´s an evening´s fervent debate for us!

Effi

@msf @Jonathan Edwards let me clear this up for you: Michael Maes is Belgian, from the Flemish part of the country. The majority of Belgians speak Dutch, not French (6 million vs. 4 million). It is the same language as the one spoken in the Netherlands, only with a difference in accent and some vocabulary. It is officially called the Dutch language, in both countries. We have something called the Dutch Language Union, which is a board of linguists from both the Netherlands and the Flemish part of Belgium. They establish grammar and spelling rules (exactly the same in both countries, so not like British vs. American English) in order to unify all the regional differences into one official language. It is not a big linguistic territory, so whenever there are seminars or meetings, there's a big chance you'll encounter both Flemish (=Belgian) and Dutch (=from the Netherlands) participants.

msf

Hey, you´re not clearing it up for me, I already knew that (well, not the bit about the spelling and grammar being standardised)! I won´t claim to be an expert, but being a patient of KDM has meant that I have now been to Belgium more times than I have been to any other country apart from the UK!

BurnA

I'm part of the 'tribe' they're talking about,so you can take my word for it! :cool:
I lived in Antwerp for months but I came away more confused about Belgium than before I went there. Still, I did get the difference between Flemish and Dutch !

msf

It was founded in 1830, and claims to have invented beer, chocolate, french fries, mussels...actually, I´m quite fond of Belgium, it seems (from the outside) like a very sensible country.

BurnA

It was founded in 1830, and claims to have invented beer, chocolate, french fries, mussels...actually, I´m quite fond of Belgium, it seems (from the outside) like a very sensible country.

Don't forget, it's French fries with mayonaisse !
And how about waffles?

SOC

Its 3 against 1 now, will he concede ??
Make that 4 against 1. I have French-speaking Belgian in-laws who are proud of their mixed-culture, mixed-language country. As they explained it to me, there are Dutch-speaking culturally Flemish Belgian citizens and French-speaking culturally French Belgian citizens. They are all proud Belgians, as are members of quite a few other cultural groups in Belgium.

Effi

I lived in Antwerp for months but I came away more confused about Belgium than before I went there.
We are confused about it ourselves. But I think we got emotionally attached to our state of confusion. And our beer, waffles and chocolate.