• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A miracle cure, not for the squeamish

Sparrow

Love that fecal transplant is starting to develop as a viable treatment strategy. May be helpful for us someday.

This also caught my eye as particularly interesting for this community:
"A recent study from a group led by Dr. Stanley Hazen of Cleveland Clinic’s Lerner Research Institute found that when bacteria in our digestive tracts metabolize a compound called carnitine (abundant in red meat), they make a byproduct called trimethylamine N-oxide, TMAO for short, which is linked to atherosclerosis. The more carnitine we consume, the more these bacteria thrive. Following 4,000 patients over three years, Hazen’s team found that higher blood levels of TMAO were associated with higher risk of death, as well as non-fatal heart attack or stroke."

I know that a lot of us end up supplementing carnitine to help our mitochondrial function. Good to have a reminder that too much of anything may not be a good thing.

Peyt

I have been experimenting with different forms of Choline in the past few months, ... at least 5 different brands. They all made me feel good mentally. I felt happier and less agitated, but I also felt heavy and inflammation especially around my tummy and breast areas... After 2 months I noticed I gained about 5 lbs.!

Anyways, today I was talking to my ND, and he said Choline gets eaten up by certain bacteria in the gut and produces something called TMAO which contributes to the symptoms that I described, here is a video that has a description:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/carnitine-choline-cancer-and-cholesterol-the-tmao-connection/

So my question to you and my Dr.(who could not answer but said he will look into it) is: is there a topical form of Choline I can use? like a cream or pomade that does not go in the gut and therefore is not eaten up by the bacteria... he thought it was a great idea but could not find a product..... Apex makes a product that has PC in it, but it also has PS which I can't tolerate.... anyone know of any? or can I have a compounding pharmacy make it topically for me?? any ideas?? thanks