The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Jody, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    That is appalling, Jerry! I am so sorry. Maybe to lesser degrees most of us have innocently been around poisons or used them. We aren't told by officialdom until years afterwards, if then. Usually the poorer, less educated, less mobile people get it the worst. And children!

Jody likes this.
  2. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    u&iraok,

Your post highlights the other side of what happened to us. Not only were we exposed but anyone who was near the smoke coming out of our chimney. Spreading of the ripples.

3. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Awful. I can relate, I don't know what all chemicals we and our kids were exposed to, living in that farming area. So much for the whole country and fresh air concept.

4. antares4141

antares4141 Senior Member

Truth or consequences, nm
    Yikes! And I suspect it's safe to presume you have CFS? I did have a lot of small exposures to pesticides before one particular occupational exposure I think pushed me over the edge. I'll probably never really know.

What get's me is obviously this has happened to tens of thousands of others. Others who obviously complained like I did on deaf ears. If my CFS was indeed set in motion by this. How is it not recognized by regulators who's job is the safety of these materials? That's rhetorical. I know the answer to this. Most the regulators I complained to sided with the PCO, defended what he did. Even though it's a violation of federal law to apply these materials inconstant with the label. Of which he wasn't just inconsistent he did the opposite. Said to water in, he didn't. The one in charge of filing the report never did. Stonewalled me every single time I asked for a copy of it. After 4 years and much badgering all I finally got was a letter from the dept of entomology saying they lost it.

MD'S are not trained to recognize poisonings such as this. I even saw one that specialized in occupational types of exposures like these and he gave me a clean bill of health. (he did make sure I wasn't taking drugs though)

My experience is relatively rare. Yet the symptoms I have mirror that of most others with CFS. So either there are multiple different ways to end up with the syndrome or my pesticide exposures were not the cause? Maybe it was a tick? Maybe it lowered my immunity to bacteria viruses and fungi? Maybe there are multiple other ways to end up with what basically amounts to the same condition.

Looking back I suspect a couple of my customers had CFS. One would not let me use roundup and I totally get why she was concerned now. Both just had that subtle unhealthy look or air, lack of muscle tone that comes with the condition. Back than late 80's early 90's there was no internet. You were truly alone with this. As bad as this is could you imagine having no support groups? Nothing but a dr to turn to who thinks you need to see a shrink?

jerrymcfadyen likes this.
  5. jerrymcfadyen

jerrymcfadyen Senior Member

East Bend, NC USA
    PCO's are well versed in getting around the label requirements. Employers in general are good at covering their own butts not those of the employee. You have to learn to protect your self at all cost.

6. antares4141

And as I said regulators encourage they conduct themselves that way. I suspect if I was only exposed to 50lbs or so of the stuf it wouldn't have been so bad. Cause the report never got filed I don't know exactly how much but I suspect it was 7 to 15 tons of fertilizers laced with pesticides. He saved a ton of money not spraying and I suspect didn't warn me cause doing so would be admitting it was dangerous as hell until it's been watered in and allowed to dry. They always say when it's dry it's safe but I suspect that when it's watered in allowed to dry and baked in the sun for a week or so would be a more accurate statement. I suspect another trick he used is when he did spray he would use something like a ten to one ratio of product to water as opposed to something like 100 to 1. To reduce the amount of water he had to lug around and than spray. That arguably was probably much worse for me. And would have been much safer if it actually was watered in and allowed to dry. I remember one time seeing the grass dry but stained with a white material. I suspect that was a fungicide. I stupidly mowed it anyways.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    jerrymcfadyen likes this.
  7. 5150

5150 Senior Member

This is a short reply. You didn't have the energy or the money to sue the owners? If ever there was a right time, that was it.
    Take care.

8. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    Unfortunately, I never knew what the chemicals were... The police were not helpful, and once the decontamination had occurred I couldn't gather evidence. The owner of the property was unaware that her tenant was involved in any wrongdoing. The tenant was charged along the others with various offences I believe....

Bottom line was I had zero proof that any harm had been done to my health, only how I felt. And no doctors would take me seriously.

9. antares4141

"Zero proof"
    That's the problem and as I was saying. As sure as I am the pesticides I was exposed to at the very least pushed me over the edge. Without any evidence to this end I have to be honest with myself and admit I don't know this for fact. (As could any jury) Could have been a tick or some type of virus or sexually transmitted disease which isn't understood by science yet. Very annoying and why I focus all my anger at authorities who are responsible for sorting this type of thing out. But take the easy way out. Dismissing it out of hand and instead implying it's psychological. Giving criminally negligent individuals and corporations a blank check to do whatever they want. If I were able to go back and do things different i would have hounded the dept of entomology more until I got them to file a report or be investigated for not filing one. While I couldn't have proven my illness was due to my exposure. I could have presented evidence that it was indeed extensive, atypical and certainly possible of doing such.

10. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Altitude sickness and carbon monoxide poisoning maybe me/cfs mimics.I was wondering if something going wrong with metabolic pathways may leave you oxygen starved or with too much carbon monoxide.

11. antares4141

Not sure who this post is referring too?

See more popular forum discussions.