1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A Dozen Different Diseases? Stephen Holgate Calls for Radical Change in ME/CFS Research

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Mark, Aug 15, 2013.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    What reason(s) would you postulate for the fact that non-US researchers have also failed to cure cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's in non-US jurisdictions under different regulatory systems?

2. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

That's an excellent question. I can't give you the perfect answer but in my eyes the main reason is the observation, that most healthcare systems all over the world reflect more or less what the FDA does. In Europe you have nearly the same regulatory hurdles as in the US. In fact, you seem to have these hurdles in all developed countries.

3. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    At the Action for ME 2013 AGM Stephen Holgate gave a talk that covered much of the same ground as his talk to the Forward ME Group featured in this blog (plus some more material, I think). The video of that AfME talk is now available here:

It is quite long, but it's a cracker starting off with Florence Nightingale (who very probably had ME) and sweeping through medicine to the present day and the development of new technologies that could be just what's needed to solve ME/CFS.

alex3619 and Esther12 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.