Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A cost effectiveness of the PACE trial

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by user9876, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yes, I've just partially re-read the paper, and I was thinking, all the way through, that it's all very makey-uppy, and very post-hockery! It's like a magic show, where they pluck figures out of the air, and ta-da, we have a favourable outcome!

MEMum likes this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    An example of poor methodology is the cost for SMC given for every group. Seeing as SMC was the main control condition, and was a controllable variable, then the cost for SMC should be identical for each participant for each group, or roughly identical across groups. But, oh what a surprise, in table 3, the SMC-group costs for SMC are £358 whereas the other groups are £213-£230, which is as low as 59% of the costs for the SMC group. This is a large cost discrepancy, and a bias, that the investigators have consciously introduced into the study.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Daisymay, MEMum, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  3. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

One of the big issues with studies like this is it gets hard to control for every possible variable and some that never occurred to the trail designers. It is one of the reasons I think that reliance on RCTs as a blackbox methodology is wrong and not scientific. The idea tried to borrow from science but in a way that cannot be adequately done.

Bob likes this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Didn't the SMC only group attend (on average) an extra session of SMC?

ukxmrv likes this.
  5. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yes, the SMC-group received more sessions of SMC. My point is that they should have received the same amount of SMC seeing as it was a control group. This was a variable entirely controlled by the trial investigators.

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I think that all patients had the option of a number of sessions of SMC, but different patients chose to attend different numbers of sessions. It's a bit odd, but given the other problems with the design, I don't know if they had an ideal solution.

Bob likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.