Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A Comparison of Case Definitions for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Sean, ScottTriGuy and mango like this.
  2. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    The London criteria eliminates everyone that doesn't have viral onset so of course it's going to be more narrow.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I find it hard to understand why one type of symptom has to be of at least moderate severity while other types of symptom only have to be of mild severity.

I'm left wondering whether these thresholds might have been decided after looking at the data.

Leonard Jason based on past experience uses "of at least moderate severity" when he is operationalising criteria but in this case they said the decision was made by Ellen Goudsmit.

They are free if they want to use the threshold "all of the time" for the symptoms but Leonard Jason doesn't use this for his other criteria. I remain to be convinced it is the best way to define ME and so am not confident that the data in this study is in any way definitive.

The authors themselves say:

lilpink and Valentijn like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I remain to be convinced that these differences are that reliable and instead could be due to the different thresholds use for the two criteria as I mentioned in the last comment.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Some limitations the authors mention:

See more popular forum discussions.