Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A Blast From The Past: A Review By Maryann Spurgin, Ph.D.

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Nielk, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Maryann Spurgin, Ph.D., graciously gave permission to MEadvocacy to share her 1997 review of Mark Demitrack's and Susan Abbey's Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: An Integrative Approach to Evaluation and Treatment. Although originally written 19 years ago, it is very relevant to what is still happening today, with the way that the Wessely school of psychs try to somaticize the biological disease ME.

It goes into elegant and ingenious interpretation details that will make you scratch your head and think “was this really written 19 years ago?”

Please read the blog here -http://www.meadvocacy.org/a_blast_from_the_past_a_review_by_maryann_spurgin_ph_d

2. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Just read it. This is absolutely terrific. Finally a logical analysis of all the illogic in those psychiatric interpretations.

sarah darwins and Nielk like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Should be pointed out Demitrack has subsequently stated (in a formal paper, in 2006, IIRC,) that he thinks the psychs are going too far, and are reading way too much into the evidence.

Wouldn't assume he is a member or even ally of that school of thought anymore.

sue la-la likes this.
  4. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Mostly it made me scratch my head and think "How are these fraudsters still getting away with this?"

TiredSam and Nielk like this.
  5. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    This was brilliant, and so clearly laid out. Made me happy for the many wise people who have been pointing out the truth for years...and made me sad that so few have listened - STILL, all these years later.

Orla, Bidding lady, TiredSam and 2 others like this.
  6. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Sounds very similar to a certain recently proposed study.

Nielk and sarah darwins like this.
  7. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Reading stuff from the 1990s depresses me because it's a stark reminder of how almost nothing has changed.

See more popular forum discussions.