• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A 50,000 Foot Overview of Major ME/CFS Theories

Gemini

@Jesse2233 many theories from your 50,000 foot overview are aggregated in the Solve ME/CFS 2017 Ramsay Award to the Bergquist et al team:

Our working hypothesis of ME/CFS pathogenesis is that a person predisposed for ME through genetics and previous antigen exposure is infected with a microbe prone to elicit ME. These microbial antigens have epitopes which cross-react with self-epitopes. An (auto)immune response to this microbe which bypasses tolerance mechanisms is elicited.

The cross-reactive immune response, e.g. autoantibodies, is directed against molecules involved in energy metabolism, hormonal regulation and, possibly, specific portions of the brain.

In short, “infection elicited autoimmunometabolic dysfunction”.

The role of infection may either be a “hit and run” phenomenon, or a chronic infection (“stay and fight”).

EDIT: Link-- http://solvecfs.org/2017-ramsay-award-program-team-1

Last edited:
The CFS community has yet to acknowledge data showing that CFS is part of a wider spectrum of brain-damaging illnesses due to infection with stealth adapted viruses. These viruses largely go unrecognized by the cellular immune system because of the deletion or mutation of genes coding for the relatively few virus components that are normally targeted by the cellular immune system. Fortunately, the body is not dependent upon the immune system for protection against infectious agents. There is the alternative cellular energy (ACE) pathway, which is effective in the defense against stealth adapted viruses, as well as conventional viruses. A political barrier to this research is that certain stealth adapted viruses originated from cytomegaloviruses from the types of monkeys used to produce live polio vaccines. The CFS community can learn more about stealth adapted viruses and the ACE pathway by reviewing various online publications. A greater awareness of this research within the CFS community may lead to more directed actions by public health officials and by the leadership in various CFS patient support groups.

Dear Jesse,

Thanks for asking. The main developments have been in i) showing that the ACE pathway is reflected in a dynamic (kinetic) quality of the body’s fluids; ii) that the energy comes from an environmental force, which I am calling KELEA (kinetic energy limiting electrostatic attraction); iii) administering or consuming activated water can enhance the ACE pathway; and iv) the fluctuating electrical activity of the brain appears to act as a natural antenna for KELEA. Clinical testing is best directed to items iii) and iv). To be meaningful, the studies need to be controlled and IRB approved. Specific suggestions regarding possible therapies are inappropriate on this forum.

The data on SCMV origin of certain stealth adapted viruses have been unequivocal since first published in 1995. This is the issue that public health authorities should address. They will then benefit from the added bonus of learning more about the ACE pathway.

wastwater

I can believe in this as a potential cause just not sure about the treatment
I see large t antigen is a protein

Last edited:
Dear Stretched,
The heightened immune response induced by vaccination, including tetanus vaccine, can potentially trigger tissue-damaging reactions against remaining minor antigens expressed on stealth adapted virus-infected cells. Vaccine provocation of a pre-existing stealth adapted viral infection explains cases of vaccine-induced autism and also the health deterioration in occasional recipients of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine.

Dear Scott,
Stealth adapted viruses are contagious. In addition to animal studies, the evidence comes from “family illnesses of presumptive infectious origin” in which the affected family members have positive virus cultures. The diverse range of clinical illnesses in the families underscores the futility of trying to define CFS as a unitary disease. There are additional examples of occupational and social transmission of infection. One manifestation can be an AIDS-like illness, in which HIV testing is negative. Virus transmission can occur during pregnancy and can lead to autism and other learning/behavioral disorders in the infected children. Public health authorities and certain patient support groups have been hesitant to consider CFS as an infectious disease. This situation may change with an increasing public awareness of stealth adapted viruses and with questions being specifically addressed to public health authorities.
To Mary, As I noted earlier, specific suggestions regarding possible therapies are inappropriate on this forum. I think it is best to strive towards the public health acknowledgment of stealth adapted viruses; some of which are unequivocally derived from African green monkey simian cytomegalovirus (SCMV).

PracticingAcceptance

@Jesse2233 thank you so much for this list!! Maybe you should add it to wikipedia - I'm sure it could benefit so many people.

I actually found this thread because I'm looking for a complete list of treatment possibilities. (Ok, now that I think about it, complete would be impossible.) The idea occurred to me to crowdsource a big list of treatments people have tried, from b12 to the Lightning Process to CBT to reki and everything else, irrespective of evidence and popularity.

It's taking me ages to compile this list for myself, so maybe we can take out the hard work for future people in my position. Although... I kind of hope this list is already made, somewhere? Does anyone know?

My intention would be to slowly research my way through the list, and make a copy of it so that I can note how effective each treatment was for me. I'm guessing plenty of people out there have got a list like this that they're keeping for themselves?

PS I'm quite interested in self-measurement systems, so if anyone is interested in telling me how they've structured theirs, please get in touch. My feeling is that there's scope for designing a self experimentation spreadsheet (and maybe one day an app) that could be freely available.

Hi

Based on different research publications on me/cfs and my personal history have some thoughts on possible theory. I have no medical background what so ever. But find the human body very intrigging. We only know so little.

Mastcells can be found in places in body that connects with outside world e.g. lungs and gi
And are located in nerves system e.g. near blood brain barrière.

Mastcell (mc) activation due to allergic reaction/ genetic disposition/vaccination early and or later in life. This process leads to permeability of vascular systeem and BB barriere. Maybe we have weak vascular/endothelial system (genetics). And risk for permeability is high. Add on virusses and stress. Our immunesystem is pressured to maintain high performance. It needs atp and thus mitochondria function is working over hours.

When mc activated by immunesystem it releases amongst others cytokines, histamine and vascular endotholial growth factor (vegf). This allows for permeability of the vascular system including bloodbrain barriere.

Mitochondria is in mastcell. So the problem starts when after activation of MC mitochondria dna get released into blood. Normally not supposed to happen. Recent studies show this to happen in cancer patients after chemo, auto immune diseases and autism.This triggers inflammation. The BB bariere shows cracks , materials of immunesystem enter the brain and inflammation brain occurs. Nerves system starts producing cytokines and toxins in body. This triggers MC degranulation and again cytokines are realesed. A continious cycle of action and reaction is set in place. Meanwhile brain is impacted, autoimmune reaction is triggerd. Maybe autoimmuun bodies to mitochondria functioning due to leaking of mitochondria dna. In conclusion the body thinks infection is still going on.

Forgot to ad some sources
More to find when googling mitochondrial dna, serum....

Researchers
1. Nguyen T, et al. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol. 2017.
Novel characterisation of mast cell phenotypes from peripheral blood mononuclear cells in chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis patients.

2. Dr. TC Theoharides: mastcell activation, braininflammation, mitochondrial dysfunction, autism. See http://mastcellmaster.com

3. Advances in the understanding of mitochondrial DNA as a pathogenic factor in inflammatory diseases [version 1; referees: 3 approved] Ray K. Boyapati1,2, Arina Tamborska1, David A. Dorward1, Gwo-Tzer Ho https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6014-372X

4. Mitochondrial DNA and anti-mitochondrial antibodies in serum of autistic children. Zhang B, et al. J Neuroinflammation. 2010.

wastwater

Just looked at Martin pall works some interesting bits he thinks NF-kappaB is important (nmda,trp)
He wrote a paper on glaucoma
Thinks vitamin D important
And benzene in gulf war syndrome may be implicated

Last edited: