• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: The Big Chase: an extra $525 000 for WPI and/or CAA? It's up to you.

I realised something earlier which I thought I'd highlight:

Charities only get one shot at round 2 - after the one, both the WPI and the CAA will never be eligible again*.

So we need to make an all-out effort.

*Indeed this time next year, there may be a contest for charities with turnovers of over $1m where there are no eligible ME/CFS charities.

Flyer for meetings, etc. worldwide to help win $900,000 for ME/CFS Research

I made up a flyer for the seats of a meeting this week. I thought I'd post it in case it might be of use to other people.

I don't expect to win any design contests with it but if people don't have time to do anything fancier, hopefully it'll do the job. Feel free to adjust for your own purposes if you want, although it should work anywhere (hopefully).

It can also be linked to at:
http://bit.ly/mLgsxO
or
http://www.co-cure.org/Flyer_CCG_Round_2.pdf

Attachments

• Flyer_CCG_Round_2.pdf
    55.8 KB · Views: 20
CFIDS Association of America's "BIG IDEA" for Chase Community Giving

http://on.fb.me/itklJE
i.e.
http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-c...at-midnight-edt-please-vote/10150260426630539
(150 word limit)

In spite of its silly-sounding name, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is as
disabling as cancer, multiple sclerosis and late HIV disease. As many as 17
million children and adults around the world have CFS, and we still don't
understand its causes. To end the suffering CFS inflicts, the CFIDS
Association of America is building a critical mass of rigorous research that
validates the biological basis for CFS and leads to better ways to diagnose
and treat it. We're putting research first to achieve the vision of a future
in which the life-altering disability, stigma and isolation of CFS no longer
exist. Your vote will help us award grants to support new research studies
exploring diagnostics and treatments; expand our SolveCFS BioBank with more
samples and clinical information on patients and healthy volunteers; and
build a data-sharing platform to help researchers aggregate and analyze
information using powerful bioinformatics tools. Based in Charlotte, NC, our
work has worldwide impact.

The Autism Community has stepped up. What a wonderful message of support for us!

A message from Kent Heckenlively; the autism community joins in getting votes for WPI on Chase Community Giving.

by XMRV Global Action on Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 2:00am

Dear ME/CFS Patients:

The autism community stands with you in the effort to get money for the Whittemore-Peterson Institute.

Starting on Thursday morning the following autism organizations will be sending out multiple requests throughout the week urging the members of our community to vote for the WPI in the Chase Community Giving Program:

1. Generation Rescue - Will be sending out approximately 13,000 blasts through Facebook and Twitter.

2. Talk About Curing Autism - Will be sending out approximately 15,000 blasts through Facebook and Twitter and will do it every single day of the competition.

3. National Autism Association - Will be sending out approximately 11,000 blasts through Facebook and Twitter.

4. Age of Autism - Will be sending out approximately 1,500 blasts through Twitter, and will post on Facebook, in addition to a possible article.

All of this comes about as the result of Hillary Johnson's efforts to create "cross-pollination" between the ME/CFS and autism communities. I was honored that she sought me out at Autism One last year because she believed I would understand the possibility this research offered to our community.

I was also fortunate to spend a good deal of time with Dr. Judy Mikovits and understand that she is an amazing woman and a remarkable scientist. I know there are some who question her outreach to our community, but we also know how it feels to be abandoned by the medical profession. We have shared in this feeling as we have sought to understand what happened to our children. For those who have questioned the outreach to our community, I hope you now view it in a different light. To my sisters and brothers in the ME/CFS community I say we are stronger together than we are apart.

Although the message is going out to the autism community, it is not a time to be complacent. I have tried to educate our community about the relevant issues, but who knows how many will answer the call.

For that reason I have made a personal committment to get an additional 100 votes from my family, friends, and professional contacts. I urge each one of you to set such a goal. It can be as few as ten, but when this week is over I want all of us to know we have done our best to support the WPI.

All the best,

Kent Heckenlively

http://www.facebook.com/notes/xmrv-...-joins-in-getting-votes-for/10150195916471797

What a great message from the autism community person.

I've managed to get five people to vote so far. How do I tell how WPI and CFIDS are doing? When I click on the leaderboard, this seems to give the results from round one. Is there a way of tracking how they are doing in round 2? Many thanks in advance.

What a great message from the autism community person.

I've managed to get five people to vote so far. How do I tell how WPI and CFIDS are doing? When I click on the leaderboard, this seems to give the results from round one. Is there a way of tracking how they are doing in round 2? Many thanks in advance.
Leaderboard is the place to check - maybe it just looked like Round 1 as they are in 7th and 19th. However, that was after only 6 hours of voting, the next update (available in 4 hours 10 mins) will be a bit more informative I think.

How clever!

Local Press Release for Chase Giving Contest.

by The CFIDS Association of America on Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 2:01pm

CHARLOTTE-BASED CFIDS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA SEEKING AREA SUPPORT

TO WIN $500,000 FROM CHASE COMMUNITY GIVING

Charlotte-area residents can make a global impact

by voting through the Chase Community Giving program

Charlotte, NC The CFIDS Association of America, the nations leading nonprofit organization committed to making chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) widely understood, diagnosable, curable and preventable, is one of two Charlotte-area organizations competing with charities nationwide for cash awards ranging from $20,000 to $500,000 through the Chase Community Giving program.

Residents can help in the effort to ensure this local charitys success by simply voting for the CFIDS Association of America through the Chase Community Giving contest running on Facebook.

The spring 2011 round of the Chase Community Giving program is designed to benefit 501(c)(3) charities with operating expenses between $1 and $10 million. During Round 1 held in early May, the Top 100 eligible charities with the most votes received $25,000 and were deemed eligible to compete in Round 2.

During Round 2, held May 19 through May 25, the eligible charity with the most votes will receive $500,000 and the remaining 24 top charities will earn amounts ranging from $20,000 through $400,000. More than $5 million dollars will be distributed to top vote-getters. Charities previously awarded grants through Chase Community Giving are not eligible for the spring 2011 program.

The other Charlotte nonprofit organization included in Round 2 is the Levine Jewish Community Center.

K. Kimberly McCleary, president & CEO of the CFIDS Association of America, pledged both the initial award and funds received during the second round of voting will support the Associations multifaceted research program, which is designed to build the capacity of the scientific community to transform CFS into a condition that is treatable, preventable and curable.

The field of CFS research is at a pivotal moment for this illness, with unprecedented opportunities to accelerate progress for the millions of adults and children who suffer from CFS worldwide, says McCleary. The CFIDS Association is intensifying its efforts to build a critical mass of rigorous research that validates the biological basis for CFS and leads to improved methods for diagnosis and treatment.

Were competing with 99 other charities across the country for awards from Chase, McCleary continues. With the support of patients, family members and caregivers, our Facebook fans and residents right here in our hometown, the CFIDS Association has the opportunity to bolster our mission to put research first to achieve the vision of a future in which the life-altering disability, stigma and isolation of CFS no longer exist. We are based in Charlotte, but the work we do has global impact. This contest offers another way to put Charlotte on the map in science and philanthropy.

Help The CFIDS Association Win $500,000 For Research!

Help The CFIDS Association of America win up to $500,000.Simply Like the Chase Community Giving program at: http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/, then cast your vote at http://bit.ly/jmJJoB. If you have questions about the CFIDS Association of America or would like to get involved, visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/CFIDSAssn, or contact us at cfids@cfids.org or (704) 365-2343 .

About CFS

CFS (also known as chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome, or CFIDS, and myalgic encephalomyelitis, or M.E.) is a complex illness that results in a constellation of debilitating symptoms, including incapacitating fatigue (experienced as profound exhaustion and extremely poor stamina), sleep difficulties and problems with concentration and short-term memory. Its also accompanied by flu-like symptoms, widespread pain in the joints and muscles, tender lymph nodes, sore throat and headaches. A distinctive characteristic of CFS is post-exertional relapse, a worsening of symptoms following physical or mental exertion that can require an extended recovery time. Orthostatic intolerance, an inability to maintain upright posture, is common in CFS and can be provoked by certain activities including giving blood.

About The CFIDS Association of America

The Association is the nations leading nonprofit organization committed to making CFS widely understood, diagnosable, curable and preventable. Second only to the federal government in funding initiatives for CFS, since 1987 the CFIDS Association of America has invested more than $29 million in CFS research, public policy and education. For more information, visit http://www.cfids.org/.

About Chase Community Giving

Chase Community Giving is a program inspiring a new way of corporate philanthropy by letting participants vote to help determine which nonprofits will receive donations from Chases philanthropy funds. The program is giving away over $5 million in grants to charities nationwide, with focuses including arts and culture; education and youth development; environment; animal welfare; health and social services; community development; medical research and awareness; recreation and sports; and international development.

###

For more about Chase Giving, please visit: http://www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2011/chase-giving-round2.asp

Thought I'd share my voting tactics. I've had quite a lot of success with friends voting by sending them personal messages via FB. I wrote an update and why WPI is important to me with the voting details. I opened FB in 2 screens on my comp...uter side by side. One screen showing my list of friends so I could seen their names alphabetically to type them into the messages (I think you're allowed 25 ppl per message), the other screen was the messages page where I'd copy and paste the same update. I cranked out over 600 personal messages in about 30 minutes and I've had at least 60 votes that I've seen. Not to mention countless personal notes from friends cheering me on. I wasn't sure if it would work or they'd just consider it spam. Well, it's worked! :)

And here's my letter if you need a template:

Hi!!

Im writing because I need your help. Im not asking for money, just two simple clicks of your mouse on Facebook. (If you don't want an updated of how I'm doing, just skip below to the links, I won't be offended! Just please vote!)

As you know, I have been sick now for 3.5 years. Unable to work, and depending on the day able to be out of bed from just 15 minutes to 4 hours a day. I have Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) - a chronic, inflammatory, neurological disease that is multisystemic, affecting the central nervous, immune, cardiovascular, endocrinological and musculoskeletal systems. My body is unable to fight off viruses and infections like mono, roseola, lyme and pneumonia. For quite some time I have had all four of these infections, setting up shop in all of my internal organs.

17 million people worldwide suffer, with virtually no viable treatment options and no serious research institutions are doing anything about it.

Until the Whittemore Peterson Institute recently came along. One family, fighting for their daughter's life, footed the bill and opened a state of the art institute for the sole purpose of researching Neuroimmune disease. But, this single family can no longer cover all of these costs alone. WPI needs help raising money to perform the necessary research for a cure.

Thats where you come in. Just a simple "Facebook vote" by you could put the WPI in a position to receive $500,000 in the Chase Giving Campaign. Last I heard were in 5th place. It's easy. All you do is:

Go to: http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving and click like

Once you "like" Chase Community Giving, you can vote for WPI by voting at: http://bit.ly/mrWckA

Voting ends May 25th.

As for me, I'm getting by. I miss working, running, travelling and general galavanting. But I'm one of the lucky ones who have ridiculously supportive family and friends.

Thanks for all of your continued support!!! This probably isn't the last time you'll hear from me asking for advocacy help. And please feel free to share my story and ask your friends to vote!!!

Ann

From the Whittemore Peterson Institute Facebook page:

A message from Annette Whittemore

"As the competition moves along more charities are combining efforts. In the spirit of working together for patients, we're asking for people to use any unused votes to help support the CAA. Many have already voted for both and we thank you. Let's make medical research and patients a priority on this top 10 list for Chase."

---

Links for the two organizations are:

(i) the CFIDS Association of America: http://t.co/VZEd5Pk

(ii) the Whittemore Peterson Institute http://t.co/Ev8j2dP

---
ETA: I set up a specific thread to discuss it: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...temore-encouraging-people-to-vote-for-the-CAA rather than have a discussion spread over lots of threads.