• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

$95 for l-methylfolate

whodathunkit

fibrodude84 said:
I think I'm going to start full blast on 15mg to see if it helps. If I feel sick how fast should I expect side effects?
Um...I wouldn't do *that*. LOL Please do not take my words out of context.

Taking 15mg to start might get a whole bunch of stuff started and could even incur a serious potassium deficiency, which could be life-threatening. Methylfolate seems to be very benign...it doesn't seem to be harmful in and of itself no matter how much you take...but it starts processes in the body that *can* be harmful if not managed in the right way until everythign is normalized.

This is one reason I'm always a little afraid of giving advice, because I'm afraid someone will take it out of context like this.

@fibrodude84: if you choose to do this, it's completely on you. I STRONGLY advise against it.

We are NOT angling to get side effects and feel worse from methylfolate. It's unfortunate that it most often seems to happen, but whatever trouble you can save yourself, try to do it.

IMO taking 15mg to start, if you have any CFS/ME symptoms, is not really a smart thing to do.

I started with 800mcg. I advise that to be the highest dose you should start with. Then boost it every couple of days by another 400mcg or 800mcg, if you're really wanting to go "faster". Myself, the reason I went this fast is because I didn't think I would get the crash. I didn't think I was that "sick". But I was wrong. My goal was to get to 4mg/day (a reasonably healthy dose) and keep it there. I spent a couple weeks at that level before I crashed. I actually thought I had escaped the crash when it happened to me.

If and only if you crash or get sick do you try radical increase.

Also, read up on the donut hole and potassium deficiency. If you go fast you will most likely run into potassium deficiency.

Good luck, try not to go too gonzo, okay? ;)