1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

6th Conference of Fatigue Science in Osaka, Japan

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(I'm not sure where the best place to put this is. There may be no connection with XMRV so didn't feel it should go in there)

ETA: After I translated the programme, I discovered Suzanne Vernon may be the only non-Japanese speaker and generally the program does not look as exciting, CFS-wise, as in the past i.e. maybe don't read anymore of this thread?

People could post information on this conference in this thread and then it could be discussed.

In the June CFIDSLink e-newsletter from the CAA it says:

In the past, a lot of the presentations have been on CFS research. One example: I think I can recall John Gow presenting results before they were published here so it could be interesting.

A very quick search of the web didn't reveal much.

I think there is information on this page:
    http://www.mediastream.jp/jsfs6/

This is how Google translates the info:
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Actually, there be less on CFS than I thought

Actually, there be less on CFS than I thought this year. Also few people from outside Japan. The one in 2005 was very different.

http://www.mediastream.jp/jsfs6/program/index.html
    This is how Google translates the info:

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

4. shiso

shiso Senior Member

I've looked at the website and program and the Google translation is fairly accurate.

And you're right - the conference topics (at least from their titles) appear to be focused on "fatigue" and "chronic fatigue," with no real indications that CCC ME/CFS is being discussed. This is consistent with my sense of research funding and direction in this country.

Some of the speaker names are the same names involved in real ME/CFS research in the 1990s and were/are intimately familiar with ME/CFS patients and their symptoms, but at least at this conference they seem to be addressing "fatigue" more broadly. It's very confusing - maybe they are studying ME/CFS under the umbrella of fatigue more broadly or not concerned with ME/CFS at all - it's impossible to tell.

While rather depressing, it's not to say some of the topics and approaches don't seem interesting. They're clearly making a connection between often disabling fatigue (whether it's idiopathic fatigue or ME/CFS - either way, the people running the conference are familiar with ME/CFS) and losses to productivity and the economy, and appear to be researching the "mechanism of fatigue," and ways of scientifically measuring fatigue. There's also mention of a government agency for disability (presumably the relevance is for people disabled by "fatigue").

Dr. Vernon's talk is titled Current Situation of Fatigue and Its Treatment in the United States - though it seems to be a working title and perhaps a topic chosen by the conference organizers. I wonder if she will mention US XMRV research efforts in connection with ME/CFS - no other speakers appear to be speaking about it.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(Off-topic) Kunihisa Miwa on Graded Exercise Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

I'm afraid I haven't got a handle on the different Japanese researchers and whether they have different views on Graded Exercise Therapy (GET).

I thought people interested in CFS in Japan might be interested in this.

Kunihisa Miwa

http://www.biomedcentral.com/imedia/1818057459347659_comment.pdf
  6. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    Hopes in Japan

Dr Bruce Carruthers just recently said that there is interesting stuff coming out of Japan - I have hope in it!

glen
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

From the latest CFIDSLink from http://www.cfids.org/
  8. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US
    How many saw the CAA's webinar? One point I came away with is the difference in the Japanese approach to disease as opposed to the US. Dr. Vernon surmises it's because they care about productivity and wish to keep their citizens working. The US could learn from that, obviously.

The Japanese make a research finding and shortly thereafter a kit is available to physicians to test for the finding. It seems they must be way ahead in diagnosing this disease. There was much that Dr. Vernon could not reveal because she promised to keep it in confidence. However, the CAA are anxious to partner with them.

If you missed this webinar, it will be on Youtube.
  9. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    It would be fascinating to keep tabs on the Japanese research to see if, as a nation, they head more collectively and decidedly down the biomedical route. I was disappointed to see Peter White on the list, but encouraged to see Nancy Klimas, and Judy Mikovits as well as Dr Vernon.
  10. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    khandhasmy looks like a spammar. This is the 2008 conference and there are ads in his/her post.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.