1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

5th Invest in ME/CFS Conference - Programme May 24 2010

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by shrewsbury, May 23, 2010.

1. Rosemary

Rosemary Senior Member

Natasa...In autism the suggestion to correct the DPP 1V/CD26 enzyme deficiency is to replace the enzyme by supplementing DPP 1V however as you mention here in CFS it is produced as normal but does not leave the cell so I wonder what this would mean treatment wise for CFS ?

Quote " If DPP IV deficiency results in autism, what can be done? If the enzyme is missing, replacing it should solve the deficiency."

Theories of Potential Therapies for DPP IV Deficiency [Unevaluated]:

http://www.healing-arts.org/children/autism-overview.htm#Dipeptidyl Peptidase Deficiency

Does anyone have any other thoughts on this ?
  2. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    yes I agree Rosemary, I wonder if that is the enzyme they are using in the current study in Houston that was posted here?

btw Judy mentioned twins with childhood Nieman Picks, childhood alzheimer - as xmrv would be lifting cholesterol off membrane while budding no wonder if it causes diseases of cholestorol defects.
  3. Rosemary

Rosemary Senior Member

Thanks for the interesting feedback about the twins with NPC

I don't know if CM-AT [info below] which is being used in the Autism trials also contains DPP-1V ?
    Some parents I know have actually bought DPP-1V to give to their children , I'm not sure if DPP-1V is sold on its own or in combination with other digestive enzymes ?

CM-AT, an orally ingested powder that delivers protein-digesting protease,

CM-AT is a proprietary enzyme that is designed as a powder taken three times a day.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...uremark&rank=1
  4. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

CCD / CCC = Canadian Consensus Definition / Criteria.
  5. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
  6. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

Me too, Otis! You clearly have quicker fingers and a quicker brain than me! :D
  7. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    Well insomnia is good for something then. :eek:

I am an admin so I was able to edit the first post to keep them all together.
  8. If CD26 is a 'T cell activation antigen', and it doesn't work - is this one example of how XMRV infects T-Cells?

What is the test for the neuro inflammation in American CFS that Klimas has mentioned in her videos (post XMRV) twice now I wonder? :confused: Dr Kerr has mentioned before that brain inflammatory cytokines are elevated, but what are these brain cytokines? (I can't find the paper!!!!). :(

Some more info on T Cells in other past CFS research involving Kenny De Meirleir quoted below:

T helper 17 (Th17) cells belong to a recently identified subset of T helper cells, with crucial regulatory function in inflammatory and autoimmune processes. Th17 cells are implicated in allergic inflammation, intestinal diseases, central nervous system inflammation, disorders that may all contribute to the pathophysiology of CFS. IL-17F is one of the pro-inflammatory cytokines secreted by Th17 cells. We investigated the association between CFS and the frequency of rs763780, a C/T genetic polymorphism leading to His161Arg substitution in the IL-17F protein. The His161Arg variant (C allele) antagonizes the pro-inflammatory effects of the wild-type IL-17F. A significantly lower frequency of the C allele was observed in the CFS population, suggesting that the His161Arg variant may confer protection against the disease. These results suggest a role of Th17 cells in the pathogenesis of CFS.

Lower frequency of IL-17F sequence variant (His161Arg) in chronic fatigue syndrome patients.
    Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18774769
  9. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
  10. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Science grilled them for 6 months to ensure no such thing took place!

also if there was contamination than the control healthy samples would have been contaminated as well, not only cfs ones. they were all mixed, blinded and handled by same labs
  11. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    yes it used widely thousands are on it, I believe they are all combos, most popular are houston enzymes http://www.mandimart.co.uk/houston-enzymes-1-c.asp
  12. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    And didn't the fact that they were able to show (minor) genetic diversity in XMRV samples help squash the contamination concern. The idea being that if there were contamination it would be copies of the exact same generic material.
  13. Countrygirl

UK
  14. leaves

leaves Senior Member

Hehe nice to have family on the forum :)
  15. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

16. helsbells

helsbells Senior Member

UK
    Thanks greatly for that link Natasa778!!
  17. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

contamination argument again?

The extraordinary thing about this alleged contamination is that it appears to know whether or not you are testing the general population or special cohorts. How you get a roughly 4% figure for incidence in the general population and much higher in a cohort like PC, CFS/ME, FM, asthma, etc. has never been addressed. When approximately similar findings turn up in laboratories on different continents, it is time to reconsider.
  18. EXACTLY!!! And the people testing positive at 98% prevalence at WPI aren't healthy, but very disabled with neuro immune disease.
    It would be different if the 98% of people are playing basket ball and winning weight lifting competitions, but they aren't.
  19. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Yes, and the Japanese study found XMRV in a similar percentage of random blood samples taken from the Japanese blood supply (it was around 2 or 3 % - I can't remember the exact figure)... So there's no doubt at all that XMRV is real now... There's so much evidence for it...

Some scientists will continue to find zero XMRV in their studies, as long as they only use the old HIV retro-viral science which they are familiar with, and they don't replicate the Science paper methodology exactly...

And ignorant scientists will continue to blame contamination when they aren't happy with their results... but we've really got beyond the stage of calling XMRV a contaminant now... there's no turning back now... they can't put the XMRV genie back in it's bottle.
  20. Countrygirl

UK

See more popular forum discussions.