• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

5-28-15 Article - ...Tattoos Can Pose Serious Health Risks

Wayne

The health risks mentioned in this article seem to revolve around allergic reactions, and the effects tattoos can have on the immune system. It appears about 6% of the general population end up with chronic problems. I would guess the percentage would be much higher for pwME/SEID.

In Addition To Regret, Tattoos Can Pose Serious Health Risks

Here's a few major points from the article

About 1 in 10 people who get tattoos experiences problems with the tattoo, including infection, itching, swelling and redness, according to a small study in the June issue of the journal Contact Dermatitis. Many people in the study had complications that lingered for years after the tattoo was inked, the researchers said....
-
About 10 percent of the people said they'd had some complications. For some, these complications were short-lived, such as bacterial infection right after the tattoo was inked, or temporary swelling and itching.

But of those who had complaints, six in 10 suffered from chronic problems. And although many had suffered from unpleasant itching or swelling for years, few had bothered to get their problems checked by a doctor, the researchers found...
-
Although tattoo artists and parlors are strictly regulated in order to limit infection and disease transmission risk, few people know what is in the tattoo ink itself. — "Tattoo inks aren't very closely regulated in the United States," Leger told Live Science.
-
"Some of the stories we got do definitely sound like tattoo allergy," Leger said. "They'll have a red tattoo, and then a few years later, they will get a new tattoo — and, all of a sudden, the new red and the old red tattoo become itchy and raised."​

Last edited:

Wayne

While reading the article on tattoos, I couldn't help but wonder if the 6% who end up with chronic skin and/or immune system problems might be a similar percentage to those who end up with chronic health issues from vaccinations.

L'engle

moogle
Yuck. As a person with sensitive skin I would imagine always having irritation at the site of a tattoo. Not that I want to get one anyway. They're fine on other people(mostly, lol) but my skin crawls thinking about it.

SOC

I'm afraid my first reaction was "No shit, Sherlock!" ;)

Jabbing a needle with God-knows-what in/on it hundreds, if not thousands, of times through your body's infection barrier just seems like a bad idea overall. Maybe people with awesome immune systems that cope effectively with infections, allergens, and various toxins feel up to taking that risk to get a permanent pretty picture, but I'm guessing the rest of the world's population (most of us) might be better off hanging our art on a wall.

SOC

At the risk of revealing a bias :rolleyes:, I have to say that the number of "pretty pictures" I've run across have been few and far between.
I'm inclined to agree, but apparently very many people disagree with us. :) A chacun son gout, I guess. It sure ain't my "gout".