1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

48 Hour Ambulatory EEG

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by jimells, Jul 25, 2014.

1. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    A year ago my neuro wanted me to get an EEG. I said sure, why not? Then they sent me an appointment letter telling me I was supposed to stay awake the night before. I told them to forget it; their protocol would cause lots of harm, and really, just how likely is it that I have seizures that only show up during the sleep/wake transitions?

Two months ago they finally followed up and said they would setup a regular EEG. Imagine my surprise when yesterday's letter was to schedule a 48 hour EEG. It sounds kinda interesting, except for the 21 (count 'em!) leads to be stuck to my head with nearly non-removable paste.

Anybody here ever tried this test? Does it show anything remotely useful? Is is possible to actually sleep with all those wires? I did a mostly sleepless sleep study a few years ago. All that junk stuck all over me was pretty uncomfortable.

Valentijn likes this.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @jimells
    I have had all those leads stuck on for a sleep study (overnight in a hospital). 48 hours, at home, sounds better and yes, you might get something useful. You can sleep with the wires, but if you move much it gets into a tangle!

Sushi

Valentijn and jimells like this.
  3. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I got it done, glue goes away easy with warm water. (I have issues leaving my arms up, and I could do it). Got nothing out of the EEG. The sleep study very usefull to treat stage 4 issues.

4. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine

I wonder how many different glues there are. Whatever was used for the sleep study took a few days to get all of it out.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    My wires were taped down and tied up nicely everywhere, so tangling wasn't an issue. Clothing can get complicated though :p

Sushi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.