• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

48 Hour Ambulatory EEG

jimells

A year ago my neuro wanted me to get an EEG. I said sure, why not? Then they sent me an appointment letter telling me I was supposed to stay awake the night before. I told them to forget it; their protocol would cause lots of harm, and really, just how likely is it that I have seizures that only show up during the sleep/wake transitions?

Two months ago they finally followed up and said they would setup a regular EEG. Imagine my surprise when yesterday's letter was to schedule a 48 hour EEG. It sounds kinda interesting, except for the 21 (count 'em!) leads to be stuck to my head with nearly non-removable paste.

Anybody here ever tried this test? Does it show anything remotely useful? Is is possible to actually sleep with all those wires? I did a mostly sleepless sleep study a few years ago. All that junk stuck all over me was pretty uncomfortable.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@jimells
I have had all those leads stuck on for a sleep study (overnight in a hospital). 48 hours, at home, sounds better and yes, you might get something useful. You can sleep with the wires, but if you move much it gets into a tangle!

Sushi

Seven7

Seven
I got it done, glue goes away easy with warm water. (I have issues leaving my arms up, and I could do it). Got nothing out of the EEG. The sleep study very usefull to treat stage 4 issues.

I have had all those leads stuck on for a sleep study (overnight in a hospital). 48 hours, at home, sounds better and yes, you might get something useful. You can sleep with the wires, but if you move much it gets into a tangle!
My wires were taped down and tied up nicely everywhere, so tangling wasn't an issue. Clothing can get complicated though :p

JAH

A year ago my neuro wanted me to get an EEG. I said sure, why not? Then they sent me an appointment letter telling me I was supposed to stay awake the night before. I told them to forget it; their protocol would cause lots of harm, and really, just how likely is it that I have seizures that only show up during the sleep/wake transitions?

Two months ago they finally followed up and said they would setup a regular EEG. Imagine my surprise when yesterday's letter was to schedule a 48 hour EEG. It sounds kinda interesting, except for the 21 (count 'em!) leads to be stuck to my head with nearly non-removable paste.

Anybody here ever tried this test? Does it show anything remotely useful? Is is possible to actually sleep with all those wires? I did a mostly sleepless sleep study a few years ago. All that junk stuck all over me was pretty uncomfortable.
Hi jimells,
I'm about to have this test done - I'm having seizures - and I'm wondering how it went for you. Did a search on the forum and I think you're the only one. I've had a sleep study, but this is a couple of days in the hospital - did anything useful come out of it?

Thanks, JAH

jimells

Hi jimells,
I'm about to have this test done - I'm having seizures - and I'm wondering how it went for you. Did a search on the forum and I think you're the only one. I've had a sleep study, but this is a couple of days in the hospital - did anything useful come out of it?

Thanks, JAH

No, I never had the test. They told me I had to travel to the hospital in Bangor (250 mile round trip) to have the wires stuck on, then come back the next day to have them removed. I explained I was too ill to travel, but it made no difference, so I had to cancel it.

I can't understand this - there is a local technician to hook up the wires for EEG at the local hospital (ten miles away), but they can't hook up a mobile unit.

If I were having seizures, I would definitely find some way to get an EEG test.

JAH

No, I never had the test. They told me I had to travel to the hospital in Bangor (250 mile round trip) to have the wires stuck on, then come back the next day to have them removed. I explained I was too ill to travel, but it made no difference, so I had to cancel it.

I can't understand this - there is a local technician to hook up the wires for EEG at the local hospital (ten miles away), but they can't hook up a mobile unit.

If I were having seizures, I would definitely find some way to get an EEG test.
Wow- that was a fast response, thanks. Too bad you didnt get the test. I'm going in on monday, just concerned that they won't let me sleep late enough...hope i can negotiate that.

I'd say stay safe during the big storm, but you're in Maine, so this is nothing for you, J