• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

43,000 Viruses in your Poop

Enid

Interesting leela - no scientist but just nice to know detection goes on - this being the century of the virus a noted Biologist said at the turn of 2000.

redo

Thanks for posting. I've been thinking that if a virus is behind CFS, it's likely that it's got a gut reservior. So if it is, is might be one of those 43381.

redo

What ever happened to the enterovirus finding in CFS patients many years back? (as I've understood it, they could reside in the gut).

redo

Hypothesis I got (not facts).
I am actually beginning to think (emphasis on think) more and more that we're dealing with a virus which primarily resides in the gut. It could very well be exceptionally hard to detect in blood, because it's reservoir is in the gut. The reason why these illnesses the virus is causing (FMS, CFS, MS, RA etc) have begun getting prevalent in the last part of the previous century is the radical change in diet. Because of the diet change, we now have a gut flora which makes it possible for these viruses to break out, previously the people of US/Europe and other Western countries had a protective gut flora prohibiting it from happening (because the diet was totally different). Now the RNA virus can break out from latent to active if it only gets a trigger (EBV, vaccine, etc). Because of the reactions people are getting to ARVs (both negative and positive) I am assuming it's a RNA-virus. And the virus can cause severe distortion of the immune system, which in turn causes severe symptoms. I am guessing if it is so, than there are either various viruses within the same group causing the different symptoms, or it's genetic differences between people causing them to get one over the other.

perrier

I am actually beginning to think (emphasis on think) more and more that we're dealing with a virus which primarily resides in the gut. It could very well be exceptionally hard to detect in blood, because it's reservoir is in the gut. The reason why these illnesses the virus is causing (FMS, CFS, MS, RA etc) have begun getting prevalent in the last part of the previous century is the radical change in diet. Because of the diet change, we now have a gut flora which makes it possible for these viruses to break out, previously the people of US/Europe and other Western countries had a protective gut flora prohibiting it from happening (because the diet was totally different). Now the RNA virus can break out from latent to active if it only gets a trigger (EBV, vaccine, etc). Because of the reactions people are getting to ARVs (both negative and positive) I am assuming it's a RNA-virus. And the virus can cause severe distortion of the immune system, which in turn causes severe symptoms. I am guessing if it is so, than there are either various viruses within the same group causing the different symptoms, or it's genetic differences between people causing them to get one over the other.

Hi!
If I am not mistaken, I read somewhere that Dr. Chia also maintains that there is a virus somewhere in the gut. He does stomach biopsies, for instance.

If there are any patients of Dr. Chia here, please let us know what he does, and what his findings are.

Best wishes, Helene

leela

I totally agree with your theories about the importance of the gut, redo. (Love your chart, btw.)

My point in posting this article, though, was not simply the impressive number of viruses (and it is indeed impressive)
but the fact that scientific dollars and time was spent looking at SEWAGE--which pretty much by its nature is going to be filled with a whole bunch of nasty stuff--really no need to spend time and money figuring that out..

What is the point of looking for virus in a gigantic mishmash of an entirely unknown population, mixed with an entirely unknown quantity of chemicals and other detritus?

As Justin said, could we not have some ME money and scientists to study *our* bodily fluids and tissues please?

Tristen

Very well stated. I agree with you on this. Most of our immune system resides in the gut. EV's cause Leaky Gut and consequently pathogen trans-location, which eventually moves into the CNS.

redo

Thank you for the compliments leela, and I see where you was going with the thread. :Retro smile:

CFS research is utterly underfunded, but I actually don't think this was such a money out the window study. The poop is really one of the last places doctors and scientists look for answers to disease, and the reason is pretty simple: who wants to be the doctor looking at poop? Problem is, what if the answer to much disease is there...

Take this for example. Dramatic improvement in fibromyalgia after removing parts of the small intestines. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a site containing some major pathogens, and wouldn't surprise me if no one have looked there before :)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18401670