1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

$4,600 Up for Grabs for UK ME/CFS Charities – Vote Once from Anywhere!

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Mark, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

MERUK haven't tweeted yet on anything. They just set up the account to hold the address. They have just built up that following by some of us plugging the address (not sure they have done so themselves anywhere).
    Sasha likes this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

:) I wear lots of baseball caps largely to keep out overhead lights. Also, helps to keep me warm.
    Sasha likes this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I wonder if the length of the intro piece could mean some people are not voting? Maybe it would be good to have a simple intro that said something like:

You need to have a facebook or google account signed in. Click this LINK, click to 'vote', it will ask you to connect via facebook or google and that's okay. Then repeat with this LINK. Then you're done.

I find that sometimes I can click on things like this when feeling wiped, and give up/put it off if it's more than a simple couple of clicks (I am very lazy though).
    Battery Muncher likes this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

They just re-tweeted my tweet to their 3803* followers

* they got two followers more since early. I imagine there will soon be a word, if there isn't already, for envy of other people's Twitter following. :)
    Valentijn likes this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    :thumbsup:

Twenvy? Twealousy?
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

They've just gone up a couple of votes. Let's hope the other 3,801 catch on! :cool:
    Tom Kindlon likes this.
  7. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

Voted! Let's keep thje recent momentum going!
    Tom Kindlon likes this.
  8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Well done! Nice signature - angel, balloons, thumbs up - artistic! :thumbsup:
    Battery Muncher likes this.
  9. Battery Muncher

Since I voted there hasn't been much progress - ME research UK has only garnered another 9 votes (from 590--->599). It's still in 4th place, trailing Reuben's retreat in 3rd place (667). So we're 68 votes behind 3rd!

Meanwhile, MEA is still lagging quite far behind in 10th....
  10. Tom Kindlon

Wendy Boutilier has a file which records the scores. She's in North America so times are around 6.30pm in the British Isles (i.e. add 5 hours)
    e.g.
    1:40 PM EST June 6th, 2013,
    June 7th, 2013: She didn't note exact time but looks like around 1.30pm from when she posted it
    As at 1:45 PM EST, June 8th, 2013,
    As at 1:25 PM EST June 9th, 2013
    AS AT 1.30 PM EST June 10th, 2013
    AT 1:30 PM EST JUNE 11th, 2013.

So Sasha's article produced a bit of a bounce as did my attempt to highlight it around on evening of June 9. But unfortunately has gone a bit flat again in the last 24 hours.

Attached Files:

Battery Muncher, Bob and Sasha like this.
  11. Battery Muncher

We are disappointingly far behind right now (by something like 1,500 votes). Fortunately, as recent contests have shown, we have more than enough people to overcome this gap (for Stormberg, we managed almost 8000 votes). This is the last time this competition is running, so it's worth making the effort!

Has anyone told Maria Gjelde? Maybe we need more publicity...
    Also, perhaps people think this is limited to the UK only or something.... but you can vote internationally too, and our international community is easily big enough to overcome this gap!
    Firestormm likes this.
  12. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    I am rather amazed that so little voting has yet to take place. I mean when you think about it it doesn't take any effort on our part to hit a button or two - and with 1,000 votes the contest would be turned on it's head.

ME Research UK in 5th place with 646 votes

ME Association in 11th place with 423 votes

You can access the rankings here. Come on. Hit the button. Vote. Tell your friends. And don't forget that you can vote from outside of the UK :)
    Sasha likes this.
  13. Tom Kindlon

Here are the latest ratings from just over an hour ago which show the change from day to day.

Wendy Boutilier uploaded a new version of june direct debit.xls

TOP 12 - JUNE 14th, 2013 @ 3:44 PM EST.

ME Research UK sent out an e-newsletter today and plugged the competition but there was little sign of much of a bounce from it (20 votes in 26 hours 24 minutes). They are now in 6th. The MEA have dropped out of top 10 (prize-winning positions) to 12th. Only 11 votes in 26 hours 24 minutes.

Attached Files:

14. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Interesting - I believe they've got a lot of members but they don't themselves seem to be very Facebooked-up, which might be an issue for this competition. Did they mention any of the reasons to think it worth voting, such as the fact that the community has won $400k in these contests? I think the UK charities are very new to this and their members might not realise quite how good their chances are if they actually crack on and vote.

We're so used to talking about these contests on Phoenix Rising now and so used to seeing the community in action that we perhaps don't realise that not everybody is aware of how well we've all been doing on this. It took a while for our voting community to build and maybe the UK charities have to start from further back - with IiME only doing well because it's well-known because of the conference and the more public focus on Rituximab and hence picked up the international vote.

Either that or everybody's on holiday! :)
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I wonder if there's also a bit of British hesitancy to it. I think that US organisations would be far more willing to work on geeing people up, and going on and on about it. UK organisations might be more likely to feel 'we've told them about it... it would be rude to keep mentioning it if they do not want to vote for us'. (I could be 100% wrong about this).
    Sasha likes this.
  16. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Interesting to analyse the results, to see where all the votes come from. It might help us with future campaigns.

It's a very concise newsletter, and they only briefly mentioned the competition:

2. Vote to give us a 'Big Break'!
    ME Research UK has the chance of winning up to £2,000 BUT we need to win a public vote. Please cast your vote for us. Voting ends 30th June so get all your family, friends and colleagues involved!
    Sasha likes this.
  17. Tom Kindlon

Just did a quick count: the MEA have tweeted/RTed 9 messages on this since the start of the month to their 3800+ followers. I think that's a reasonable amount - much more might be considered excessive.
    Sasha likes this.
  18. Tom Kindlon

If I remember correctly, Facebook events have been set up to plug competitions. It's another excuse to highlight it and one can easily invite people to vote.

I've a bundle of work to work through and spent quite a bit of time this week plugging something else on Facebook and e-mail lists (Blue Ribbon documentary) so don't feel inclined to do it myself.
    Sasha and Bob like this.
  19. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Our upper lip's too stiff! :aghhh:
  20. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

I wonder what the crossover is between Tweet membership and FB membership.

The MEA have had it on their FB page. I haven't got a clue about FB. Is there a mechanism for sending a FB message to all the people who like you or are your friends or whatever (I don't know the difference!)?

They've also recently posted it in the news section of their main website - I wonder if that did anything?

Interesting feedback to give to the charities, actually - our fundraising network probably sends an alert out to more or less the same people every time but the charities themselves have a large membership and have the opportunity to do various things to get people voting.

See more popular forum discussions.